• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy gain ll 40 ch lowers mod

Sparky, put the uppers and lowers in a GE 40 Channel years ago. I forget the exact model, but it was the one with the big meter like a Galaxy. Same PLL 02A, it worked well, You will have to follow the channel map for switch setting. It was fun, until the final finally gave up. It was the first radio that I ever had a mod installed. I remember the conversation. Sparky to me- "Joe, you will never make it sound like a bug radio, but we can put in the upper and lowers with the PLL in the radio. They will be on the front switches. We will just set the ANL on all the time. 'Not many people talk on the highs and lows today, back in the day people did in order to have a secret channel to talk to their buddies." Brings back some memories. I still like how the old Midlands sound. Best of luck and enjoy.

Sparky, put the uppers and lowers in a GE 40 Channel years ago. I forget the exact model, but it was the one with the big meter like a Galaxy. Same PLL 02A, it worked well, You will have to follow the channel map for switch setting. It was fun, until the final finally gave up. It was the first radio that I ever had a mod installed. I remember the conversation. Sparky to me- "Joe, you will never make it sound like a bug radio, but we can put in the upper and lowers with the PLL in the radio. They will be on the front switches. We will just set the ANL on all the time. 'Not many people talk on the highs and lows today, back in the day people did in order to have a secret channel to talk to their buddies." Brings back some memories. I still like how the old Midlands sound. Best of luck and enjoy.
My first SSB radio, and first modded radio was a Midland 79-892. I sold it, and later bought another to replace it. I have it on the air right now.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
See page 10 of the attached.

Thanks to Klondike Mike for scanning in these a couple years ago.

David

Attachments

• MASTER_MODS_VOL_2.pdf
    22.4 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Where does the HyGain end up? There were at least two different Cybernet AM chassis and while the HyGain II should have the PTBM051AOX board, it could have a PTBM038AOX or something else entirely. Knowing where it ended up could help figure out what you've got. Board number would probably help more, of course.

I'll look tonight. I do know the hy gain has an FCC waiver tag on the back from late 1976 making it a VERY early 40 ch.

PTBMO36AOX
Early 3 crystal board like the Midland 13-882C. Which, according to Secret CB Vol13, page 62 is simple to modify for lower channels. Supposedly all you need to do is isolate PLL pin 9 from ground and add a switch.

I'd probably put a resistor from +8V to the pin as well just to make sure it's not floating when disconnected from ground, but I'm weird like that.

Anyways, since I can't experimentally verify this info all disclaimers apply. Especially the ones about at your own risk.

hold on a minute.... I have two versions in my files and at quick glance it appears they use different N codes. Give me a bit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.