• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I did it.....Heil Microphone part II

Darn it MIG! I would have sold you my GM-5 so I can try out the PR781. Of course you would have also had to buy the shock mount that goes with it since that won't work on the PR781. LOL

Do you take PayPal Mole.......:D

I made a couple of eBay sales that put enough $$$ into my PayPal account to cover the cost....

I would have gone with the PR-781, but Heil doesn't make a pre-assembled cable that connects those high end 3 pin mic's to the older 4 pin Kenwoods.
The PR-781 takes the CC-1-XLR cable, the GM-5, HM-10, and Handi-Mic's take the CC-1 cables, and they offer a CC-1 for 4 pin Kenwood, I went with the GM-5 so I wouldn't have to jury rig a CC-1-XLR cable with a 4 pin connector.

Besides the older Kenwoods don't have the onboard EQ or DSP circuitry to support a top of the line mic like the PR series....
Now if I had an FT-950 or FT-2000 I'd get the PR-40 with the SM-2 shock mount, and put it on an articulated boom with a foot switch......:D

You probably know this by now but there will be 'proximity effect' with that mic. So if you are within say 2", the low-mid can overload and get a bit muddy. The sweet spot should be right around 3-4" right on the center of the element.

You definitely don't have to eat those mics, but you do need to stay in a fairly consistent spot so they sound the best they can. This is true with most any dynamic mic.

I like your improvised mic boom. It's awfully nice to have the mic right at mouth height and clear of the desk in front of you isn't it? I'll always have a boom now.

Exactly right about proximity effect. I don't have a very loud voice so I "eat" most of the mics I use. When I was experimenting with different dynamic mics for HF use and settled on the SM-57 I cut the lows and boosted the mids for the same reason.

I used a Sennheiser 835 for a while in one of the bands I was in just because of the reduced proximity effect as opposed to an SM-58. I sold it because most sound guys were used to a '58 and if they had half an ear could make it work in most situations whereas my luck with the Sennheiser was not as good. Wish I still had it now, it'd be interesting to hook up and play with between my Kenwood and Icom.

Rick

Oh yeah, I forgot that the new PR781 takes a different cable. I guess I'd have to get that too. This is starting to get expensive. :blush:

Oh yeah, I forgot that the new PR781 takes a different cable. I guess I'd have to get that too. This is starting to get expensive. :blush:

Go with the package deal at Cheapham.com Mole, you'll get the mic, cable of your choice, and the foot switch for about the same price you'd pay at many other retailers for just the PR-781 alone......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.