• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I got my Jo Gunn 6VDX up on my US Tower!

Very Cool!! you just have to love these beam antennas, I tell people all the time if you havent ever got the chance to run or mess with a beam antenna your missing out.

Impressive.

Hardline though? Seems a bit overkill! Ah well, to each their own. If the cost and added complexity is worth it to you, well, have at it.

(y)

Q: Doesn't the vertical antenna interfere/interact with that kind of a beam?
Just curious . . .

The 6V DX is a horizontal beam. It is in a V shape to narrow the direction. So in theory, they shouldn't bother each other. I also ran a simulation in the antenna program MMANA-GAL. It is free software, you can get it here.

MMANA-GAL - MM HamSoft

The program did show an increase in the Vertical field plots on the 6V, but no change on the plots from the A99.

73's

Impressive.

Hardline though? Seems a bit overkill! Ah well, to each their own. If the cost and added complexity is worth it to you, well, have at it.

(y)

I'm running about 180 feet of feed line, so I wanted to get the lowest loss cable I could in my price range. I also opted for the Andrew hard line for the added prevention of noise, and TVI problems due to leakage of RF.

I learned long ago, you can put TONS of money into radio's, and amps. But the most important part of your set up is feed line, grounding, and your array.

What size heliax is it? The 1/2 inch stuff LDF4? It is GREAT if you can afford it or know someone who knows someone sort of thing. I used to be one of those someones that people knew. :LOL: I have three runs of LDF4-50, one each for HF, 6m and 2m, and have lots left over for a future new tower project that will require a 200 foot cable run.

I'm running about 180 feet of feed line, so I wanted to get the lowest loss cable I could in my price range. I also opted for the Andrew hard line for the added prevention of noise, and TVI problems due to leakage of RF.

I learned long ago, you can put TONS of money into radio's, and amps. But the most important part of your set up is feed line, grounding, and your array.

i agree with ya completely.

What size heliax is it? The 1/2 inch stuff LDF4? It is GREAT if you can afford it or know someone who knows someone sort of thing. I used to be one of those someones that people knew. :LOL: I have three runs of LDF4-50, one each for HF, 6m and 2m, and have lots left over for a future new tower project that will require a 200 foot cable run.

It is Andrew LDF4-50A hardline. All connectors on the LDF4-50 are Andrew L4PNM-RC RingFlare type N's. I also used Type N panel mounts on my remote switch box. The switch box itself is filled with Argon Gas. And type N's on my gear here in the shack.

The 6V DX is a horizontal beam. It is in a V shape to narrow the direction. So in theory, they shouldn't bother each other. I also ran a simulation in the antenna program MMANA-GAL. It is free software, you can get it here.

MMANA-GAL - MM HamSoft

The program did show an increase in the Vertical field plots on the 6V, but no change on the plots from the A99.

73's

That beam is a mix of vertical and horizontal polarization on a single feed line. Although the specification of "20 - 25 db vertical to horizontal separation" is an obvious typo. When you sweep the elements up or down towards a 45 degree angle, this gives a combination of both polarities. The driven element also becomes more sensitive to signals arriving at the sides. It is when you sweep the elements forward as seen in some TV antennas that the pattern narrows.

That beam is a mix of vertical and horizontal polarization on a single feed line. Although the specification of "20 - 25 db vertical to horizontal separation" is an obvious typo. When you sweep the elements up or down towards a 45 degree angle, this gives a combination of both polarities. The driven element also becomes more sensitive to signals arriving at the sides. It is when you sweep the elements forward as seen in some TV antennas that the pattern narrows.

That is strange. The ploting does not show much vertical radiation. This is new to my ears.

Check out the specs on the Jo Gunn site. It says vertical and horizontal on a single feed line. Because the elements are between horizontal and vertical, you get sensitivity to both.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.