• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need a better antenna

Antennas don't bleed over, only rigs that have had golden screwdriver muppets inside them do.
After 19 months with an a 99 then IMAX 2000 at 7' I've had zero complaints. Not a single one. My Madison's limiter is intact and as far as I know the (AGC?) audio pot is exactly where it was when the rig left the factory. I run the phantom with the Madison @ 1/12 DK with 15 pep show and 130 DK and 500+ pep and a fet Modified d104. Still no complaints. As far as my own home one might think with my IMAX 7' off the ground and about 15' away from my back door I'd be the ideal candidate for RFI. But once again nothing. Maybe clean in is clean out. Even with the dirtiest amplifiers ever built. Unfortunately my Sonar does have its audio compressor limiter board bypassed and I do use a Demco modulator and are you at massage d104 with it. The amp used with the sonar is a 300a 2 DK 17 pep (with the Demco turned on at 2 o'clock) and see 110 DK 500 pep. And still no RFI at my qth. And again in almost 2 years not one complaint from a neighbor.
I do think lots of RFI that occurred in the past did show over televisions. We obviously don't have the same types of televisions nor the same type of television Transmission signals. Except in the homes of people who cannot afford cable or satellite and still receive local television stations via transmitters. I don't think there are any of those near me but I'm not 100% sure.
I do read complaints about others coming over there Neighbors PC speakers. But my neighbors aren't having any of those issues because of my CB station Transmissions. And if so for some reason they are not letting me know about it. I'm lucky or my neighbors just don't feel like it's a big enough deal to mention it.. But once again, not one complaint in two years. You would think that a vertical antenna below the roof line and ridiculously below at that would be an ideal situation for the cause of problematic RFI. I don't know enough about RFI to claim why I don't experience any issues. I doubt my coax has helped me to the point we're if there were to be an RFI it has totally rectified any potential issues. I purchased LMR 400 times. Use 100 and 10 ft from my station to the antenna. And lmr 240 jumpers between the radios, amplifiers, meter and antenna switch. Am I just lucky? 73 PS I wanted to add that while replacing a pl-259 on my lnr400 I found it to be the best looking and feeling coax I have ever seen in my life. I think it was a great investment whether it helps with RFI or not isn't why I'm bringing this up. I just thought to mention if there are any newbies out there that are looking to spend a few extra dollars for a coax that's worth the extra bucks the lmr400 or 240 cables are incredible.

Attachments

• 4877-1493376222-c1300bf115229ac1e7836c578e5c670c.jpg
    4877-1493376222-c1300bf115229ac1e7836c578e5c670c.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Another vote for a Srio Tornado I do not have one but all the reviews say it is lik 20% better than a Imax. The reason I do not have one is I do not have enough room for the 8ft ground radials.

camelgoat, i'm going to recommend the same antenna for you that i did for another member just a day or two ago.

It's called a vertical bazooka antenna, and may go by other names. I believe this was the concept behind the 'Big Stik' antennas, but i'm not sure on that.

here is a link to a how to: http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?the-vertical-bazooka-antenna,18

This antenna is built entirely out of a length of coax cable, so it's incredibly cheap, yet works very well.
This way you don't have to lay out the dough before you experiment a bit with your possible mounting locations.

In your situation, you might try putting the antenna inside a lenth of PVC pipe, and temporarily mounting it in different places in order to see what works.

To be honest, you may just choose to continue to use it as a opposed to buying another vertical antenna. they really do work well.

got a tall tree on your property? you can hang this antenna from a tree, or mount it in one.

best part of the design is that there is no need for radials!

hope this helps get you started.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.