• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need more range!

coolgreen

Jan 17, 2009
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
I have CBs in both of my snow plow trucks, which has been great for keeping in touch with my other driver. The only problem is range. I get about 1-2 miles, then just static. I currently have a Wilson Little Wil and another equivalent antenna, which I know are not the greatest.

The problem I have is that while plowing we to go under a lot of trees heavily laden with snow, which tend to hit the antennas quite a bit. If I go with a Wilson 1000 it will take quite a beating and probably be knocked off the roof.

Are the fiberglass antennas any good? Will they increase my range and be flexible enough? I'm thinking of mounting 60-inch models in the the stake pockets on the trucks.

CBs are perfect for business use in my area, as no one except the truckers seem to be using them. I think in the past year I have only spoken to two people on anything other than channel 19. It's like having my own private radio band.

I wish all the other snow plowing companies would put CBs in their trucks. We could swap snow accumulation info, and would be great in the case of any emergency. I'm going to go on my snow plowing forum and suggest it, but I don't know how it will go over.

The fiberglass antennas will get destroyed as well..

I take it you do not have a ham radio license...
If you do or willing to get one..
then using UHF ( 70cm band) with decent radios and antennas
( will offer better range while requiring typically smaller..not as tall antennas) and with the ham license will enable you to use more power ( most uhf ham radios use 20-100 watts)

No, no licence. Also too expensive to get set up. I'm trying to convince other snowplow companies in my area to get CBs in their trucks, but they don't seem too keen on the idea. They seem to think cellphones are the answer. They are completely missing the point.

Can you use a HAM radio for business purposes? I didn't think that was permitted.

i think the hearing problem is something other than the lil wil , unless its defective or not installed properly/optimally . ive got one as a backup and it hears fairly decent . ive talked about 35 miles on it (with a pair of 1446's helping it . but it did hear the signal . ive also talked skip up and down the east coast and dixie on the lil wil . a 102-108 inch stainless steel whip is gonna be the most effective and most durable option for you . depending on where you mount it on your truck and the places you drive it at the 9 foot antenna could simply be too tall for you to use . a predator 10k is a great antenna , but those snow laden tree limbs hit the shaft or coil it could cause dammage to the antenna or the roof if its hard mounted . those 10k's are TOUGH . i went under a too short drive through and my 10k never noticed it , unfortunately my roof flexed and the antenna god cocked back about 15-20 degrees . so the 10K is stronger than the roof on my 4X4 , LOL .

does a 102-108 sound like something that may work for you ?

Step 1- Get radio tuned for max output with a 2 watt DK.
Step 2- Upgrade to Wilson 1000 or 5000 (which has better recieve) Both will be more durable and help you TX and RX better..
Step 3- Get a small 100+ watt box.
Step 4- Talk to your buddy with no problem.

Step 1- Get radio tuned for max output with a 2 watt DK.
Step 2- Upgrade to Wilson 1000 or 5000 (which has better recieve) Both will be more durable and help you TX and RX better..
Step 3- Get a small 100+ watt box.
Step 4- Talk to your buddy with no problem.
I'd agree with that - but adding an older Cobra 148GTL/Grant XL would be a definite plus in this system.

For the purpose you're using them for, your present radios ought to work just fine. If you want to 'up-grade', that's normal, but I really don't think it's necessary. I also think your thinking is probably right about the antennas being used. No idea why you don't seem to have more 'range' except maybe they aren't tuned all that well?? I don't think a fiberglass antenna is the solution. Nothing wrong with them, they do just as well as all metal antennas. Their biggest draw back is that they are sort of 'fragile', especially in colder weather. Fiberglass can get brittle, which is not good if it has to take some heavy knocks. I think your best bet would be going in the other direction, as in using a 'standard' 102" whip. You'll certainly hit things with them, but they tend to withstand that sort of thingy fairly well. A 'stake-pocket' mount ought to work out as good as any in your particular application. Installing/tuning them is sort of a 'given', you should do that right.
If you're really thinking about a 'wide' system for yours and other's general use, you might look into a 'MURS/FRS' type thing. That can be used for commercial purposes, and would typically have the range you're looking for (the MURS, not the FRS, but FRS could give you more general public 'input' for informational purposes, sort of). A VHS radio system should provide you with all the local range you'd need. If not, and especially if other companies think it's a good idea, you could set up a repeater for it fairly easily (NOT cheaply, just easily, and those other companies could help defray the cost, they pay a cell phone bill so what's the difference). A 'dedicated' radio system is almost always worth the effort in the long run.
Oh well, just a thought.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.