• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-2820 Firmware Update?

KF7RUQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 7, 2011
Is there a Firmware Update for an Icom IC-2820?

How can you tell which version you have?

Has Icom tried to fix anything?

Thanks.....

I'm not aware of any updates.

What is broke?

Thanks for posting/getting back to me.

I am hoping for some way to "grasp" what's going on with the radio. I have posted, on this forum, a number of other questions, but I am still frustrated.

I was hoping that there was a Firmware update that changed the "menu-ing", "display", "navigation", "intuitiveness", etc. Basically, I want it easier to operate and understand. I have read and re-read the owner's manual, looked for instructional videos, and I am struggling to get over the learning hump, and enjoy this radio.

I might be the "only" person with these concerns, but I doubt it.

Maybe others (and AcidRod has) can share how they overcame their learning curve, with this radio.

I am at a point, where I won't ever purchase anything Icom, again. Plus their Tech/Customer Support $ucks.

I have had a learning curve, with my other radios, (Yaesu, Kenwood, Motorola, Wouxun) but not this bad. This is my first Icom.

Since Icom won't help, and their Engineers/Tech Support suck, I am hoping that someone can Hack this, and improve it.

I suspect that others have more time on the 2820, and could suggest changes.

-Thanks

Yes the 2820 is a complicated radio to run from the front panel! I have tried many times to enter memory channels only to have something go wrong at the last minute.

Analog chaanels weren't so bad but Dstar channels were a real challange.

My only solution was to invest in the RT System software and programming cable. It made the job much easier being able to see all the programmable parameters associated with a memory channel rather than poking buttons and scrolling front panel controls.

I also tried the ICOM software but it was clumsy to use.

Thanks for posting/getting back to me.

I am hoping for some way to "grasp" what's going on with the radio. I have posted, on this forum, a number of other questions, but I am still frustrated.

Here is something that I found on another Board......

iB::Topic::IC-2820 firmware version

Posted on: Jan. 21 2009,08:09
How to check which firmware version is on your IC-2820.

Hi, how old is your radio? Do you know which firmware it is running? Latest is 1.07 Thanks.(to check your radio turn off and press both vfos and the low and tone buttons and turn on the radio while holding all the above buttons down and the display should show you what your radio is running then turn off then on again and that's you back to normal operation).

I haven't tried it, yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.