• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-746pro

This will be my next radio. I would prefer the 756 Pro but, funds will not allow that. Try to get a newer one if you can. The older ones had a problem with the display. Great radio. I'm sure you will be happy

I have an Icom 746 non pro. I absolutely love the radio. I decided on the non pro for a few reasons. One reason is because they average $300 to $400 dollars cheaper. I got mine in like new
(and I mean Like New) for $750 shipped to the door. Another reason is because they still have issues with the backlights going out in them. So I just performed the modification given on ham.dmz to fix the problem. Another reason is because alot of the upgrades on the pro are for digital modes that only few people use. And the only other real improvement to the 746 pro is DSP upgrades and let me tell you, the dsp that the non pro has is more than sufficient. I never new I could hear stations that were buried under so much noise. The only other advice I can offer is to get an external speaker because the internal speaker doesnt do the rig justice.

I have a 746pro and it is a fantastic radio. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

BTW, the older 746 does not have any DSP. That is the major upgrade / advantage of the Pro. It's significant enough that it's worth having, IMO...I've had both rigs.

Thanks, I heard about the issues and it scared me to spend that kind of money on a radio and have such problems.

I am just getting all the info I can to make an educated buy, It has all the coverage I need and I like my IC-V8000 very much so I was hoping the 746pro is good too.

I am only going to buy it in about a 6month or year from now when I save up the funds. I will be looking for a used one for a good price.

Thanks,
Roger

The 746 non pro does have DSP. Just not as advanced as the pro. The NR, PBT, ANF and APF are all part of the DSP in the 746 non pro. Look at your owners manual and it will explain it there.

Im not to sure what problems you are specifically talking about, But the known problems of the non pro are the backlight and a few problems with intermittent tx. Most problems are easy to fix! check out Eham.com to get reviews on both rigs and then checkout ham.dmz to checkout the modifications they have for the problems.

well I hear a chip overheats and burns out but I could be wrong.
I may just try to finfd a used 746 because the 746pro is selling for like 1500.00 with free power supply and I think a 40.00 rebate and this is just to much for me at this time.

I will prob. save a little while and get a 746 but I dont know about ebay.

Roger

The chip they are referring to is the lcd driver. The modification to fix the problem is very simple! Just remove the transistor and apply a thin coat of thermal compound, the replace. Its that simple! There are alot of 746's on ebay now going for about $600-$750 dollars. If ebay is not your thing, You can try www.qth.com
I have bought alot of gear off that site and not had a single problem. Good luck! Also dont forget about other very capable rigs out there. Yaesu's, Kenwoods, and other Icoms that can be had for less money but have great performance. I would recommend the yaesu FT857 to anyone! I use mine often and have come to the conclusion that it has a better reciever than the 746 with a quieter noise floor. Just keep your options open and most of all, ENJOY THE HOBBY
:D

Icom 746 Pro

I don't own a 746 Pro. I do own a TS570, TS50 and an Icom 706 MKIIG.
I've talked to many people who run an Icom 746 and they can be a nice sounding rig if they're set up right. They have a lot of potential; all mode VHF and HF.
Make sure the Pro you're looking at has been serviced since 2005 or has a SN 3351 or higher. If so, it already has the factory installed protection diode.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.