• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom ic-7000

211 in tha mag

Apr 11, 2005
How does this radio compare to the 706MKIIG? Im thinking of picking one up, will do SSB 80% of the time. or is there a better radio then this on the market that is mobile that has either more power or stronger sound?

The 7000 is a beautiful radio that builds on the feautures of the 706. I don't own one but have two friends that do. I've owned a MKIIG for 4 years now and would buy a 7000 at the drop of a hat.
The FT897 (have one} is a good radio as well, but is a totally different creature than the 7000 and the 706. In my opinion the 897s main fortay is it's portability.

I own an FT-857D right now. I really like it a lot.

However, I was playing with a 7000 today and it's not even close, the IF DSP alone makes it worth the money. It was simply out of my budget when I got my 857.

The 7000 is an amazing mobile rig. It also works very nicely with Ham Radio Deluxe for base use...using your PC as the rig control. Much faster to get at all the adjustments that way rather than doing the 'menu dance'.

If you have the cabbage, the 7000 is amazing.

based on the 706's 'improvement' history, i'd wait another year or so to see if icom puts out a 2nd generation 7000. i do have a 706mkIIg as my base, which will probably go mobile after a 2nd gen 7000 is available. i wish icom had a base comparable to the kenwood 2000, covering 432....just 1 more band, icom, c'mon!

Check QTH,QRZ and Eham. I have seen new ones in the box go as cheap as $900.00. I have had real good luck dealing with most everyone I've bought from. I have a MKIIG as a base now but, will go mobile in December when I buy myself a 756 Pro III for X-mas. I love the 7000 but don't feel the need to have one because most of my radio is done at the base and the 706 will surfice for what I will use it for.

I heard the mic on these raidos make it sound like crap and with a good heil or a modified stock mic will make it wake up big time.

I think, as with a lot of the new DSP radios, people just don't understand how they work. You can do so many things to affect TX audio on the 7000 I find it hard to trust the noise about bad audio with these rigs.

Also, each user's voice has quite a bit to do with how a mic works, not to mention that some people work 2' from a mic and others work on top of them.

Run the gain up on a ham rig and eat the mic and it will be a bassy mess. It's very easy to run a ham mic too hot if you don't ever check your TX audio with another radio and headphones.

My 857D took some fiddling to get right and my VX-7R has a reputation for low audio output. My VX-7 with my voice was talking out of repeaters all the time, I had to lower the deviation in it to back it off. The 857 has to run at gain levels of 10 for FM out of a possible 50 or it will talk right out of a repeater.

I dont use HRO because they have this on their front page,

HRO 12 STORE BUYING POWER WORKS FOR YOU !!

Their prices are no better than anyone else, when I see better prices then I will buy from them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.