• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-T70A

KB8YMJ

Mar 11, 2010
I'm looking for a new dual band HT and was wondering if anyone has any experience, good and bad, with the Icom IC-T70A. Thanks!

Good, basic 2m/440 radio. It can on monitor one band, though. Rugged with no frills. Personally, I would just buy a Wouxun for 1/2 the price, though.

Oh Boy, another Chinese Radio fan. The IC-T-70A-HD Runs Circles around the Wouxun in Selectivity, Sensitivity and "Audio Punch" which is selectable by The Keyboard and not the Computer Pains. The Clarity is Very Noticeable. And Yes, you can power it by 12v DC from the Factory and it is Better Built, Period. I have Icom's Yaesu's Wouxun's, Baofeng's and tried an "Anytone but What a Pain !" Computer Computer Computer. The Icom just get's it Right. No Annoying "Loud Popping Squelch" and Light Duty Construction. Best of all, programmable from the Keyboard of the Radio itself. I've had many since 1987 from someone that wants "Only Ham Freqs." Just my opinion.

You Won't go wrong with the T-70. Best of all the xmit. audio is selectable from the Keyboard! No Computer needed! No Headache, Driver problems etc. Programming can't be any simpler. My Favorite. KC4CQS. 73!

FWIW, I owned an Icom IC-T70A and wrote a review article on it here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/icom-ic-t70a-review.49429/

It's a good radio, no doubt, but it is no-frills. For the price, I don't like that it isn't even dual RX. There are a lot of things that I don't like about the Wouxon's and other Chinese radios - you mentioned most of them - but Icom is charging too much for this radio from a feature-per-dollar perspective.

FWIW, I owned an Icom IC-T70A and wrote a review article on it here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/icom-ic-t70a-review.49429/

It's a good radio, no doubt, but it is no-frills. For the price, I don't like that it isn't even dual RX. There are a lot of things that I don't like about the Wouxon's and other Chinese radios - you mentioned most of them - but Icom is charging too much for this radio from a feature-per-dollar perspective.

True, it is overpriced but if your an "Amateur Operator" and interested in real performance in a transceiver and reliability, and not having to be "Teathered to a Computer" then consider this one now at 199.95 with a 2000mah Lithium Batt. or the Yaesu Ft-60 with the standard NIMH Batt at around 149.95. Again if you've got to grab and go quickly and your other contacts ask you to go to another Freq. you don't alredy have programmed and your reply is i don't know how because i programmed it by computer. And again, the build quality of both of these units far exceeds the "Chinese Rigs". 73 to All...!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.