• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

icom730 question

ddbddg1

Dec 18, 2011
sheridan wyoming
Just bought a used icom 730 and it came with no mic.
I am having a hard time finding a mic.
I have a turner +3b desk mic.and also a turner jm+3 power hand mic.
I was wondering if I could wire either of these to work?
If not what would be a affordable hand mic. that would work?
any help would be greatly appreciated

Ebay mic. is sold already. and so far I cant find any info on how to wire the turners to the radio or any info on how to mod the mic.
I think I may have wasted my money on this radio

I don't think your going to like the way the +3 or any other "CB" mic will work on that radio. Those rigs don't play well with low z mikes. I tried to hook up a 1104c to my ICOM 720A back in the day and it never sounded good at all. You would be much better off getting an ICOM desk or hand mike or the ones pointed out by M42.

Last edited:
I don't think your going to like the way the +3 or any other "CB" mic will work on that radio. Those rigs don't play well with low z mikes. I tried to hook up a 1104c to my ICOM 720A back in the day and it never sounded good at all. You would be much better off getting an ICOM desk or hand mike or the ones pointed out by M42.

The mic input impedance of the IC-730 is 1300 ohms according to the manual. Not really a high impedance input. The impedance of the Turner +3 is 5000 ohms, not that bad a mismatch. The Astatic 1104c has an impedance of about 5000 ohms and likes to see a load of at least 1000 ohms. The Turner +3 should match up quite well with the IC-730. It did on my IC-735 when I had it but I preferred the HM-12 hand mic for convenience.

Not necessarily. Voice characteristics along with mic freq response as well as freq roll off due to any impedance mismatch all factor into what it sounds like. Different voices are suited better to different mics.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.