• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I'm legal and own the worst call sign ever

KW4HKY

Feb 16, 2010
It's been a whirling since Saturday. I hit the Charlotte Hamfest, my first, walked through and wondered why I was there? I was overwhelmed! My local club passed me off to an Elmer, and soon I owned an Antenna, before the test:confused:

I passed the Tech exam, declined the General test, and waited till the HRO both slowed down, bought an HT, upgraded rubber duck and an 8800R and headed home.

I called the club contact today with a tech question and said I should be in the data base already! He got my VEC on the radio, looked up my call sign and I heard laughter from both ends. Then I found out why.

KJ4 S V Z :headbang

Holy cow, I spent my first 4 hours on the air repeating my call sign.

"was that S: BC? CC? CB?" and on & on. Only a few giggled, mos told me about the Vanity System, and most said "WHAT A CALL SIGN or YOU WILL an alphabet contest!"

The only good thing is they remembered my name & voice in a hurry! It was worth the price of admission when someone heard my listening. They tried, but I don't think anyone got it right the first attempt.

I got in on my clubs 9:30 ragchew for the first time and we had 2 new guys with my first name.:laugh: It was a total laugh fest. I finally told them to call me SONNY, IF there was no other Sonny.

I need an acronym bad, or just give up an go the vanity route.

I tried KJ4 Sierra Zulu Victor and that helped. I thought about KJ4 Supreme Zulu Victory, but then people would think I was in Africa on a generator:blush:

I am open to suggestions, PLEASE.

KJ4:

Sad Zebra Voice?

Salad Zuccini Veggies?

Sober Zealot Vindication?

Secret Zanzibar Vacation?

Solo Zepplin Violin?

Silly Zany Values?

Spanish Zabra Vessel?

Smelly Zatch Vicar?

just a few off the top of my head. LOL
LC

It's been a whirling since Saturday. I hit the Charlotte Hamfest, my first, walked through and wondered why I was there? I was overwhelmed! My local club passed me off to an Elmer, and soon I owned an Antenna, before the test:confused:

I passed the Tech exam, declined the General test, and waited till the HRO both slowed down, bought an HT, upgraded rubber duck and an 8800R and headed home.

I called the club contact today with a tech question and said I should be in the data base already! He got my VEC on the radio, looked up my call sign and I heard laughter from both ends. Then I found out why.

KJ4 S V Z :headbang

Holy cow, I spent my first 4 hours on the air repeating my call sign.

"was that S: BC? CC? CB?" and on & on. Only a few giggled, mos told me about the Vanity System, and most said "WHAT A CALL SIGN or YOU WILL an alphabet contest!"

The only good thing is they remembered my name & voice in a hurry! It was worth the price of admission when someone heard my listening. They tried, but I don't think anyone got it right the first attempt.

I got in on my clubs 9:30 ragchew for the first time and we had 2 new guys with my first name.:laugh: It was a total laugh fest. I finally told them to call me SONNY, IF there was no other Sonny.

I need an acronym bad, or just give up an go the vanity route.

I tried KJ4 Sierra Zulu Victor and that helped. I thought about KJ4 Supreme Zulu Victory, but then people would think I was in Africa on a generator:blush:

I am open to suggestions, PLEASE.

it doesnt take a hammie to do it right
Kilo Jouilet 4 Sierria Zulu Victor

do i get my tech no code now?

Don't feel bad,in the beginning I didn't care for mine much either!:sad:
November 9 Zima After Seafood!
n9zas

I also have one of those calls that noone seems to get right unless I do it phonitically

BGT on the air blends together...people still dont get it right even after almost 12 years on the air ...

oh well

I use Been Good Today and my daughter came up with Big Green Tomato :confused:

the other day ...oh well...all good I guess :p

You should be familiar with the commonly used phonetics, sure. And in most cases, they will do just fine. And then there's those not so 'formal' occasions when you make up your very own phonetics! Keep it 'clean' naturally, but 'distinctive', YOUR phonetics, you know?
"King John's 4 Stacking Zebras Vertically"
or
"King John's 4 Slicing Zucchini Vertically",
or
whatever you think 'sounds' good and will be remembered. The idea is to get your call sign recognized, right? Doesn't have to make sense, or be 'proper' phonetics, sort of, just so that people recognize and know what you said. There's a time and place for your very own phonetics, so just keep that in mind.
My original call sign was "Little Zebra Killer", now it's "Loose Zipper", in between those there was "Awful Nasty", and "Kiss And Tell". A lot of people keep track of call signs by giving them 'distinctive' phonetics (or at least one of us does). It helps sometimes.
- 'Doc

(If you haven't 'played' that game before, you are really missing out on some fun! Just be careful how/where you use them.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.