• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

imax 2000 help

bluestallion

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 13, 2008
I put up my imax 2000 today. its up around 23ft. on the meter it reads 1.4 swr across the band. When I turn on my sc 100t-bil-c amp the swr is almost 3 on ch1 and around 1.8 on 40. tried messing with tuning rings but doesn't seem to make any difference. any thoughts?

I put up my imax 2000 today. its up around 23ft. on the meter it reads 1.4 swr across the band. When I turn on my sc 100t-bil-c amp the swr is almost 3 on ch1 and around 1.8 on 40. tried messing with tuning rings but doesn't seem to make any difference. any thoughts?

whats your ground situation ? do you have a grounding rod? or are you using a gpk? or nothing at all?

meters, spurs

Other things I have run into, is rf getting into the meter or wiring itself when
running higher power. depends on the meter. and spurious frequencies when
an amp is kicked in. ie parasitics or 2nd or other harmonics maybe present
with an amp, that weren't present before. (And as mentioned recalibrate
at the higher power)

Every thing is fine until the amp is on - right?

Perhaps your radio had the AM Limiter clipped and when amplified it is throwing off so much harmonic/spurious emissions that the SWR meter is reading them. Won't be the first time that has happened.

Could even be that your Class C amp is having a problem.
You really didn't give us much to go on; so we can only guess . . .

I have the libra dosey meter. I do re-cal when I turn amp on. I just picked the amp up from a shop up by terre haute. no my imax doesn't have the gpk and I don't have a ground rod or anything. tried looking up info on the amp, but not much out there. The radio I bought from a ham that had ordered it from bells cb. its a galaxy 959 with the xtra channels in it.

Where is the meter placed, between the amp and antenna or rig and amp?

do you have a grounding rod?

Ground rods are no good as a RF ground and serve only to bleed off static and give the lightning somewhere to go.

Harmonics, parasitics? With the typical CB amplifier with 'no tune' output circuits the answer to that SWR changing is much simpler in almost all cases. Those 'harmonics and parasitics' are usually an excuse for mistakes in building the things...
- 'Doc

I was told by some that my dual band antenna is too close and is causing reflection

Attachments

• imax 2k.jpg
    imax 2k.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 3
If that antenna is closer than a few feet then it'll have a massive effect on your ability to tune the antenna. It looks like its a couple of feet away which is way too close. Quite surprised that you've not noticed any detrimental effects on the dual bander as well.

If it were me I'd put a pole on the end of the building with the grey roof and put the dualbander on that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.