• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

imax 2000

grandpaclint

Oct 3, 2009
i just got my 2000,and my socalled man cave is a converted
8x8x40 shipping container. all steel.
the instructions with the imax2000 recommends 18 feet above
anything metal,i had planned to use 2 -10 foot lengths of 2 inch
conduit as a mast,that would put the antenna base about 12 feet over the
container,,,,,,,will that make all that much of a difference????
i am not using the ground plane kit,,i think the shed should be a
damn good ground plane.

suggestions appreciated

Clint

Welcome to the forum, grandpaclint.

You could do it that way. But consider this. 20 ft of conduit - is more like the minimum that one could run. Try getting 30 or even 40 ft of conduit instead. The best recommended height for any CB antenna is one full wavelength above the ground surface to the feed point of the antenna. Which is 36 ft. So long as it is stabilized with guy wires are placed at two different points/heights along the length of that mast. Just be sure that it isn't too close to any power wires - as this can be dangerous. Ask a friend or two to come over and help; this is for safety reasons as well as putting it up a bit faster. You will maximize the antenna's ability to receive and transmit when it is done this way. I like the IMAX 2000 I use. For the money spent for it, I have been able to talk all over the country over this past year. The antenna is the most important piece of gear that any radio operator has in order to get the full usefulness out of any radio station setup. This antenna needs to become the focus point.

A 6 ft ground rod will also need to be put in the ground close to your radio shack - next. That is also an important piece of hardware for any base radio setup. Cost is about $12-15 for the ground rod and wire clamp at most hardware stores - not a big deal. You will also need enough 10 ga wire to connect the antenna mast to the ground rod. Another piece of wire should be run from the ground rod to the inside of the radio shack. This is to be used to connect to the frame of you radio. These are important steps, I think you will be pleased with the results. Having ones station properly grounded will keep the receive and transmit cleaner and more effective. It will reduce the amount of static that may accumulate as well.

Last edited:
Rob.
Thanks for all the important advice, just a couple of questions,,if the Metal conduit
is in the ground 2 feet or so, and the top of the mast at the roof of the all steel
shed (shipping container) will be either welded,or well mounted,and grounded
to the shed, do i still need to run a ground wire????since the shed is already on
the ground, electricity always takes the path of least resistance ,seems like
the pole (conduit) would be the least resistance,,,no big with the ground wire
just seems redundant ,i can ground the radio frame to a spot on the shed.
i will go 30 foot of mast, can only guy it from 3 points though. east-west and south, as the mast will be on the north side of the shed.
i know this all long and drawn out, but i do want it right.
also, a 6 foot ground rod would be almost impossible in this desert,rocky dirt.

thanks
merry christmas

Clint

Rocky and sandy soil is not so great to work with for establishing a ground point. They tend to provide a poor quality ground medium. In similar circumstance; some radio operators will put up to three ground rods in - and then stagger the distance between them by a few feet. A ground rod still needs to be used though. You may have to get a bag of salt and dig down 3 or 4 feet and mix the salt with the soil as you replace the dirt - after the ground rod is put in. Under the circumstances, it is the best that one can do. Water the area thoroughly after installing the ground rod. A ground rod is necessary; as one needs to have a true DC ground as well as an RF ground for any radio setup. Not expensive to get - but kinda important to establish...

It would be best to hook a wire from the building to the ground rod as well...

Dont bother to put the mast in the ground more than a foot deep; let the ground rod do the job effectively.
Do you see a lot of wind in your area? Guying the conduit to accomidate that circumstance should be consdered very important. One wouldn't want the antenna/mast coming down on a nearby power wire! Caution and forethought goes a long way when installing the antenna system...

Last edited:
ok,i finally get the big picture re.grounding the whole system,i will do the best i can. power lines are not a problem,as i ran power to the shed underground.
i am 80 feet from the power pole by the house.
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/grandpaclint/th_100_0145.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/grandpaclint/th_100_0149.jpg

i hope you can see what i am referring to in the photos.
thanks for all the great information.i have a job ahead of me, a lot more than
i figured on,lol

Clint

it is the mohave,i live in mohave county arizona,between laughlin nevada
and kingman az.

the metal container at the left of the pix, is where my so-called man cave is
where the antenna will be mounted

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.