• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax 2000

Oldtimer

May 20, 2008
Stuart Florida
Hi to y'all
Right now I have a dipole in the attic over my apartment. It works fairly well
but like most of us I want better.I live in a apartment complex and am wondering if a Imax 2000 hung horizontal
in the eves of the attic would work??? The attic is approx. 25-30 ft off the ground.
Thanks Guys & Gals
GOD BLESS

Hi to y'all
but like most of us I want better.I live in a apartment complex and am wondering if a Imax 2000 hung horizontal
in the eves of the attic would work??? The attic is approx. 25-30 ft off the ground.
Thanks Guys & Gals
GOD BLESS

yeah it would work,but probably no better than a horizontal dipole,it would probably be pretty bad for rfi too in comparison to the dipole as its indoors with no counterpoise.

you would still have the problem it would be bidirectional like the dipole and also horizontally polarised when everyone around you just about will be vertically polarised.

basicly if you want reliable communications on 11m an outdoor antenna is the only route to take.

Hi to y'all
Thanks Guys & Gals
GOD BLESS

With an Imax you may find, in such a confined space, that there is stuff in the building that will ill-affect the matching device inside the antenna...whether conductive or not.

The Imax antenna may work, but it might also seem like it's lifeless as compared to when it is in an open environment to say nothing of the polarity issues. The balanced dipole is probably not affected as badly, so it might work even better un such conditions. The tuning coil inside the Imax is very sensitive to its surroundings, even if the affect does not show up to be bad on your SWR meter.

I think you're looking to see a gain difference and IMO you probably won't see that.

Does an dipole have to be pointed in the direction of an area ya wanna hear??

The best performance comes off the side or largest capture area, whereas off the tips or ends you'll have severely reduced performance unless you 'omni it' by making it into a 90° inverted Vee, but that will lose about 3dB off the side when compared to a flat top dipole.

Hi to y'all
Thanks Guys & Gals
GOD BLESS

i feel for your current living status what you have now is best you can do
i strongly believe the imax mounted inside like ya stated would be a big
rf nightmare for you and everyone in the complex.

One of the best indoor attic antennas I've used was a full wave quad loop. Some attics are a little low in roof height to squeeze the loop in a perfect square but if you have to go slightly rectangular, that works too. It's still bi-directional but it has gain over a dipole and RFI is very low when used with a coax balun at the feedpoint. Feed the loop at either side for vertical use.

it will work better than the dipole, i have the same here but my imax is at 45 degree's making use of the hight of my attic. I tried a dipole in there but the imax works much better. Make sure to use good quality screened coax. Factors such as how far away will your rig be? what power you will be using? will have an effect.

it will work better than the dipole, i have the same here but my imax is at 45 degree's making use of the hight of my attic. I tried a dipole in there but the imax works much better. Make sure to use good quality screened coax. Factors such as how far away will your rig be? what power you will be using? will have an effect.

Have you forced the top 1/3 of the IMAX up against the inner ceiling so it is fully horizontal or is the entire IMAX at a 45°?

Since the top ½ wave on a 5/8 is a nice half-circle of current but the bottom phase reversed 1/8 tends to cancel the next 1/8 wave above it, I would imagine venturing a tentatively inspired guess that if the main body of the IMAX were more horizontal but the top 1/3, the 2/8 wave whip were truly vertical you may see a bit of gain due to 2/3 of the active top 3/8 wave of current now being truly vertical.

Might be worth a try, depending on the hassle involved. Attics tend to filled with insulation and are not usually enjoyable areas to spend much time. :blink:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.