• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Induction coil/frequency?

sportygreg

Nov 30, 2006
Dunedin,Fl
My Cherokee 1000 works great but I had people say it's slightly off frequency-I noticed the coil seems to have been spread a little[maybe to gain some power].Would spreading the coil put it off freq slightly? :roll:

sportygreg said:
My Cherokee 1000 works great but I had people say it's slightly off frequency-I noticed the coil seems to have been spread a little[maybe to gain some power].Would spreading the coil put it off freq slightly? :roll:

If its part of a tuned circuit, possibly, but I doubt it if the transmitter has a crystal oscillator and PLL. If the inductor is part of the DC filtering, it might affect the signal mixing since the power supply might be noisier.

I would verify this against a known (accurate) frequency counter or test against a known (on Freq) CB on the bench. Maybe it is off frequency, maybe it is not.

I have come across some cases where improper or faulty wired microphones had the same effect.

Chopped limiters can also cause the same effect in some cases. In the cherokee, I seriously doubt any coil you find tahts spreadable will effect frequency enough to be noticeable on the other end. All of the frequency tuning elements are either enclosed coils with tuning adjustments, or small variable capacitors.

sportygreg said:

No it should not effect freq. at all. The fact is, when you get alot of locals on ssb all at once, its never going to be perfect. Its real hard for everyone to get "right on" freq. Your going to have some lower than others.
There is always someone out there that will complain that your off freq. Put it on a freq counter and check it out... retune it if its off. Its normal for stock cb's to be a little off from each other... thats why you have a clarifier.
If your power supply cannot deliver the surge amps fast enough that you need on ssb, you will also sound off frequency. It may be fine on am.... but if the power supplyn can deliver the amps fast enough on ssb you will sound REALLY off frequency.
Alot of locals tune their radios into each other for center slot and even if your radio is bang on freq. they will still say your off.
A freq counter is whats needed

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.