• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Installing a new tower

KG0MN

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 5, 2010
Perhaps the biggest and definitely one of the most expensive part of the whole process was finished today and that was digging the 4' x 4' x 4' whole that now holds the bottom 5' section of the 50' tower I am installing. The city I live in will not allow towers any higher than that, but after a year of so I may do some maintenance to the tower and add another 10' section once the neighbors regain their senses.

I will be adding pictures as the process continues.

I agree the hard part is the digging.

50 feet is an ok height, if that is all the city will allow then it is what you have to work with.

I have a multiband yagi at 45 feet here and it works good DX. Of course it would work beter at 90 feet but no complaints at 45 feet. If I can hear them I can usually work them with 100 watts, if not then I turn a switch on and get 10 more db gain.

Good luck on the tower install and be careful.

The city I live in will not allow towers any higher than that
I thought a licenced operator can put up 200ft of tower unless an airport is nearby.
Even if you have a Ticket, you still have to contend with City regulations , Homeowner groups, Covenants, and so on.
There is a Law, PRB-1 that allows "Reasonable" Accommodations to Amateur Radio Operators...

[SIZE=+0] PRB-1 cited as "Amateur Radio Preemption, 101 FCC 2d 952 (1985)," is a limited preemption of local zoning ordinances. It delineates [/SIZE] [SIZE=+0] three rules for local municipalities to follow in regulating antenna structures: (1) state and local regulations that operate to preclude amateur communications are in direct conflict with federal objectives and must be preempted; (2) local regulations that involve placement, screening or height of antennas based on health, safety or aesthetic considerations must be crafted to reasonably accommodate amateur communications; and (3) such local regulations must represent the minimum practicable regulation to accomplish the local authority's legitimate purpose. The heart of PRB-1 is codified in the FCC Rules [97.15(e)]. Of course, what is "reasonable" depends on the circumstances. [/SIZE]
It is up to each Operator to deal with local authority to determine what "reasonable" is.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.