• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

installing antennas at night.

Thirsty

New amateur
Jan 27, 2011
Western Wisconsin
Does anyone else wait till night to install their base antennas? I live in a fairly nice neighborhood(no HOA) but the homeowners here are a proud people who always keep their yards and homes looking immaculate, and I do as well out of respect for them etc. It seems my antennas draw some negative attention on occasion , I get the "What is that?" and "isnt it kinda big? "remarks with their eyerolls and raised eyebrow.
Anyway I find myself in the garage piecing everything together and measuring and second checking then the sun sets. Now it is time to get the ladders out and start installing the new antenna in the privacy of darkness. In the morning whalla! Brand new antenna and the neighbors never had a chance to come over and sneer.

Am I the only one who does this seemingly odd behavior?

I actually do the same thing :) Mostly just cause I end up finishing my projects at midnight and don't want to wait until morning to string them up.

Does anyone else wait till night to install their base antennas? I live in a fairly nice neighborhood(no HOA) but the homeowners here are a proud people who always keep their yards and homes looking immaculate, and I do as well out of respect for them etc. It seems my antennas draw some negative attention on occasion , I get the "What is that?" and "isnt it kinda big? "remarks with their eyerolls and raised eyebrow.
Anyway I find myself in the garage piecing everything together and measuring and second checking then the sun sets. Now it is time to get the ladders out and start installing the new antenna in the privacy of darkness. In the morning whalla! Brand new antenna and the neighbors never had a chance to come over and sneer.

Am I the only one who does this seemingly odd behavior?

If something like that irks the neighbors, it's time to move.

In one neighborhood a while back they had a "neighborhood action committee" as they called themselves. It really meant that every neighbor would do their best to get into everyone else's business and they were "anti antenna" One night they went to sleep and woke up to a 60 foot tower. The very next morning there was a 30 foot boom with lots of elements on the top. No opportunity to complain and ask questions made it easier to get the job done even at night. I can't take credit for this excellent method of approach as I learned it from our politicians that use the tactic every time they wanna jam some new law down our throats for "our own good".

I figure unless there is a law or ordinance against it then install what you want when you want. You could always get a few sales articles of some really HUGE monstrous antennas and when they complain show them the pictures and tell them you were trying to take their feelings into account by not buying that one in the pictures and to stop bitching or you will reconsider and really give them something to complain about. :tongue:

Reactions: 2 people
If something like that irks the neighbors, it's time to move.

No it's time for the neighbor to mind their own business.

They say I bet you could talk to the moon with that thing, I say well if they ever send people back there I could.

While I rarely install antenna's at night. One of the techniques I like to use is after installing the antenna, don't connect it to a single thing... If possible don't even connect your coax to the antenna for about a week..

I've found after installing an antenna that neighbors want to blame any type of interference issues on MY antenna's.. Which they usually put their foot in their mouth and don't say another word about it when I point out that NOTHING is connected to the antenna, and that whatever interference issue they've had, has been happening before my antenna even went up...

As for anyone trying to tell me what I can and can't put up as far as antenna's are concerned... I tell them when they pay the bills for this house, then they can tell me what to put up and where..

Also a friendly reminder that sure I can take this antenna down, but the only other place to put it is up their ass, and that it would probably be mutually agreeable to leave the antenna where it is on my roof doesn't hurt either.. :)

Good replies:D My wife says I spend too much time worrying what the neighbors think but in all honesty I just don't want to be the guy "ruining" the neighborhood. I have been here 15 yrs and I am still the new guy here.

Anyway they will be really impressed when I start putting the vhf/uhf beams up hehe.

if you try to make everybody happy you will have a miserable life . if it's legal and you wanna do it and can afford to ..... go for it . if it's illegal ...... CYA and be sensible about it . ;)

Reactions: 1 person
if you try to make everybody happy you will have a miserable life . if it's legal and you wanna do it and can afford to ..... go for it . if it's illegal ...... CYA and be sensible about it . ;)

I hear what you are saying, I just hate people watching me mess around with antennas and thinking they are worrying about what I am about to do next. Most people here are retired now and have nothing to do but yard work and worry about what the crazy antenna guy is doing.

Having two children who are heavily involved in school and sports we are not ready for the move to the country life yet. Just bitching a little. I am about to make the move to get heavily involved in VHF/Uhf and experimenting with several antennas so they better get used to it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.