• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Inverted V or Horizontal?

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
Which would be best either inverted V or Horizintal for a dipole, as well as does it have to be perfectly straight line or can it be L shape in yard to gather more space for longer run? And to be more ok I directional.

You can string a dipole just about any way you want to fit the space you have. Obviously you want to put as much wire as you can up as high as possible. Height is might when it comes to hf antennas. I have my dipoles installed as flat tops. One is at 55' and the other at 50' running perpendicular to each other.

Ok, but how about what it is omni directional or directional if done Horizintally flat topped in an L shape as well as inverted V done like an L but at a corner and it is going in two different direction as in one side goes north and the other side east or south and other side west ect ect what effect does that have on it as far as direction for both a flat top like that and an inverted V?

What I am doing it going to run an iMax 2000 up 65' at the base and another at 45' and run at 36' a wire setup. I am seeking omni directional for the wires mainly and why the L I want to run 88' per side and 66' 44' 33' 22' for fun and run harmonics on some and also some use tuner for rest just for fun mainly be SWL but can test via my MFJ analyzer.

Ok, but how about what it is omni directional or directional if done Horizintally flat topped in an L shape as well as inverted V done like an L but at a corner and it is going in two different direction as in one side goes north and the other side east or south and other side west ect ect what effect does that have on it as far as direction for both a flat top like that and an inverted V?

Inverted V is fairly omnidirectional but it will have a slight directivity.

If you're building a normal dipole with one leg going north-south with the feedpoint at the north and the other going right angles away from the feedpoint east west with the feedpoint being the eastern end of that leg, the lobes with maximum gain will be at an intersect angle north east/south west.

You get a similar but more muted effect doing the same with an inverted V.

Depending on where you are, the orientation of your yard/garden and where you want to contact you can use that to your advantage as I did with a friend whose garden was at right angles to where he wanted to talk to. If you wanted to talk to Europe from most of the east side of the USA you need to point a beam north east. If you built the dipole the way I described above it would work great for getting into Europe but be abysmal for NW USA, South Asia/Australia and the bottom half of Africa.

Inverted V is fairly omnidirectional but it will have a slight directivity.

If you're building a normal dipole with one leg going north-south with the feedpoint at the north and the other going right angles away from the feedpoint east west with the feedpoint being the eastern end of that leg, the lobes with maximum gain will be at an intersect angle north east/south west.

You get a similar but more muted effect doing the same with an inverted V.

Depending on where you are, the orientation of your yard/garden and where you want to contact you can use that to your advantage as I did with a friend whose garden was at right angles to where he wanted to talk to. If you wanted to talk to Europe from most of the east side of the USA you need to point a beam north east. If you built the dipole the way I described above it would work great for getting into Europe but be abysmal for NW USA, South Asia/Australia and the bottom half of Africa.

My yard now is smaller so I'm trying to figure out the max to put and doing two, one on each side , another words two horizontals and a horizontal one leg and other inverted and vice versa other side of back yard, plus 55 or 65 feet of pole for imax 2000 to go on top of.

My yard now is smaller so I'm trying to figure out the max to put and doing two, one on each side , another words two horizontals and a horizontal one leg and other inverted and vice versa other side of back yard, plus 55 or 65 feet of pole for imax 2000 to go on top of.

I'm really not following your description of how you're going to set it up. Can you sketch a drawing?

Reactions: Marconi
Give me some time and I will basically think of two legs right and left right one is horizontal north to south the other side( leg ) is now east to west but going down in a 45 degree angle, another antenna is same as above but both legs are inverted but one is north and south the other east to west as well as another is totally horizontal but one leg is again east to west and the other leg is north to south, questions is what will it favor as far as direction or be omni directional?

if I interpreted your description correctly.
two horizontal dipoles 90 degree separated on top, and two inverted V dipoles under neath the horizontal dipoles??

You will just have to build it and try it out

Kinda, going to use some 10ga I have laying around think I can manage 88' each side max. but cannot be in a straight line has to do have to do 90 degree L shape for both horizontal and inverted V. Just was wondering if anyone ever did this and how it was and what effect it had on direction of it.

Right now getting ready to push my imax 2000 up to either 55' or 65' at feed point. And keep the other at 36' feed point.

Kinda, going to use some 10ga I have laying around think I can manage 88' each side max. but cannot be in a straight line has to do have to do 90 degree L shape for both horizontal and inverted V. Just was wondering if anyone ever did this and how it was and what effect it had on direction of it.

Assuming a half wavelength or higher, the pattern is an oval shape that is the intersect of the angle the legs are bent. I'll explain.

With straight legs and the antenna going north/south you get this pattern.
cLnP4LT.png

With one leg going from the centre to the north and one leg going from the centre to the east you get this pattern.

Iaziofe.png

If you were to move the leg going from centre to the east to centre to south east you get this.

h6ucVMl.png

As you can see, the main lobe of gain is at the intersect of the angle between the legs.

Best way to do this is learn how to use antenna modelling software such as the free EZNEC. You can construct your own antenna, model it to see how it'll work, change the heights and see how it alters the patterns then build it and compare to the model.

That's both legs horizontally or inverted V? And also am talking inverted one leg aka sloping and the other horizontal too. Anyhow from seen their, then is make it almost a little
diagonally than straight side to side.

And one leg west and other north and one west and other south. I cannot make 160' or so but by inverted on 1 side and horizontal on other I can get 88' or so both sides.

That's both legs horizontally or inverted V? And also am talking inverted one leg aka sloping and the other horizontal too. Anyhow from seen their, then is make it almost a little
diagonally than straight side to side.

And one leg west and other north and one west and other south. I cannot make 160' or so but by inverted on 1 side and horizontal on other I can get 88' or so both sides.

JEEEEEEZ, just put the damn thing up:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.