• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Irf 520 swr

fireman32_14

Jun 11, 2011
I have a cobra 29 that I had a Irf 520 mosfet final tune done too just recently, my swr is around 2.5 on channel 5 which I will be using for a trip in which I will be convoying with another group here next week. Will I be ok with that swr or will it burn it up

Your SWR is a measurement of reflected loss in your antenna system. Tell us what kind or type of antenna you have and you should get plenty of help how to tune it. Also if it is a magnet mount or other type of mount and how it is mounted to your vehicle.

Contrary to many opinions, an SWR reading under 2.0 is a safe zone but at the edge of that limit though when running an amplifier or high power transistor finals. It would be better to tune it for a better match.

If you're not already, use an external swr meter. Built in meters are, for the most part, not accurate. Record your swr measurements on channels 1-20-40. If swr is higher on 1, antenna is too short. If swr is higher on 40, antenna is too long.
Swr of 2.5 will pop that fet if the mic is keyed for any significant amount of time. It needs to be near 1.5 or lower. Tune for lowest swr and roll with it.

If you're not already, use an external swr meter. Built in meters are, for the most part, not accurate. Record your swr measurements on channels 1-20-40. If swr is higher on 1, antenna is too short. If swr is higher on 40, antenna is too long.
Swr of 2.5 will pop that fet if the mic is keyed for any significant amount of time. It needs to be near 1.5 or lower. Tune for lowest swr and roll with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.