• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is 80m mobile really worth the effort?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
Is 80m mobile really even worth the effort?

I mean I am only going to be running 100 watts, so even if everything is perfect and I mean perfect, what am I looking at 5 watts out (on a 100 watt rig) ???

and since my hand made bug catcher is not going to be ANYWHERE near perfect with an crappy salvaged wire coil then I might be looking at closer to 1% efficiency maybe 3% efficiency if the gods of RF smile down on me

so is it really worth it?

I don't know if it's "worth" it or not but I have run 80 from the car. I have a High Sierra SideKick screwdriver and it will tune 80-6. It was a real dog on 80 till I replaced the 36" with with a 72" one. This opened up 40 and 75/80 on this antenna at the cost of the high end of 6. I have made several contacts on 80 mobile but I tend to stick to 40 and below. 80 is a nice band but I personally am not going to put a lot of effort into the band mobile.

I used to do 80 meters when mobile, ran about 100 watts, and had a lot of fun. Wasn't the strongest thing on the band but was strong enough to be heard, which is the important part. You might be surprised at how little power is necessary. You do have to make sure things are 'done' at least close to 'right' though. If you do 80 meters at home, and want to continue when mobile, then have at it. Just don't talk your self out of it before trying it...
- 'Doc

I have several contacts to New Zealand on 80m mobile when the band is open. 100w and a Scorpion screwdriver is fine. In the evenings I have carried out qso's with friends in New England from Florida on 80 m. I think it is a blast!
Bruce

Is 80m mobile really even worth the effort?

I mean I am only going to be running 100 watts, so even if everything is perfect and I mean perfect, what am I looking at 5 watts out (on a 100 watt rig) ???

and since my hand made bug catcher is not going to be ANYWHERE near perfect with an crappy salvaged wire coil then I might be looking at closer to 1% efficiency maybe 3% efficiency if the gods of RF smile down on me

so is it really worth it?
When I read your post, the first thing that came to mind is the antenna has won.
Conquer and enjoy the rewards of 80 metre mobile. (y)

Is it worth it? Well if you define "worth it" as having a bit of fun along with a lot of frustration then yes it is worth it. ;) I used to run 80m mobile and enjoyed a lot of contacts from Nova Scotia to the mid-west and down along the coast to Florida. Even made several contacts into Europe when the band was in good shape. 80m mobile operation is not a piece of cake by no means but each contact you make doing it is more satisfying than anything you would make on 20m.

You should bond the hood, trunk, doors and the bed and tail gate* (* if a p/u truck) to ensure you have enough mass for your counterpoise. Also bond the main body and bed* to the chassis.

You can use RG8/U coax braid and self drilling screws with star washers on each side of the braid to 'dig in' to the braid and the metal on the body parts.

I run a 75M Ham Stick with a 706MkIIG and it works fine.

Reactions: 1 person
I have 80m in the mobile using a Hi-Q 4/80 antenna with a whip that lets me run 6-80. If I'm camping, I like to change out the whip with a telescoping 12' whip, which makes a pretty decent difference (also makes the antenna pretty great on 20 meters). 100 watts with a big antenna like this on 80 meters definitely works while mobile, but 500 watts works better, which is why I put in the amplifier ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.