• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is CB allowed for commercial use in USA?

Cobra2000 said:
I hear a commercial co. using Ch. 13 every night in OH. Is this legal according to FCC rules / regulations? I hear a dispatcher directing truckers into different dock doors with first name, company, paperwork and seal...

http://www.mclaneco.com/wps/portal/

you can read the cb rules for permitted an prohibited communication
permitted: http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...ccess.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/octqtr/47cfr95.412.htm
prohibited: http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...ccess.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/octqtr/47cfr95.413.htm

Business communications is allowed.
When the solar cycle picks up, they will find using CB a bit difficult for this purpose :)

We have a few rock and dirt companies around me that use channels 2 and 4 all the time , weather illegal or not , there are times in my area that those are the only guys I hear other then the Mexicans on channel 5 and 7 !! BFD !!! IM glad to hear somebody getting some use out of these things anymore. Leave it not to me to cram the rules of cb down anybodies throat. I've been breaking most of them for decades.

actually i have always heard that cb is not to be used for business communication,thats why they have business band radios.there is a quarry that uses our local channel 16 to talk to thier dump drivers .they always complain the one local is stepping on thier convos but he always reminds them that they are on the "citizens band"and if they want clear communication they should get business band radios .makes good sense to me

I have heard cab companies and gravel pit truck drivers use CB and alot of yards use it to call trucks into docks to unload. I use to catch hell years ago from drivers in West Bend Wisconsin 20 minutes or so from where I lived because we were talking on there yard channel :shock: Now let me tell you that opened a whole new can of worms the first time they yelled at us on channel 15 :twisted: :twisted: ;) :LOL:

Is commercial use of CB allowed? Yes, that was the original purpose of CB to start with (and still is). 'CB' was turned into an 'entertainment' band by common usage, not by statute or intent. I think it's hilarious that instead of the legitimate users complaining about the the people playing on the band as I can certainly remember, it's now the 'players' complaining about the legitimate users!
~Priceless~
- 'Doc

My understanding is that it is legal. Unless they are advertising, which would be illegal.

" In all my years in radio, I've never heard this...usually using FM or something along those lines... "

This is very common and I think it's odd you never heard of this. Alot of delivery centers and grocery loading docks will have a "company channel". When drivers get close they know what channel to go to to get their door number. Makes perfect sense.

I have 6 or 8 in earshot of me. I work at a large chemical company and they use cbs to talk to the drivers

Yes, It's permitted under rule 12 of part 95. As far as "advertising" goes,..It's illegal, but I don't think people follow this rule anymore. I drive on the interstate to work everyday, and there's a CB shop that advertises constantly over channel 19. FCC used to track this stuff down,..but not anymore. It's everyman for himself, and dog eat dog! :)

Although it is legal to use for business
I do not see how it can be an effective business use tool
Except ofcourse for truckers traveling the roads

but hey
to eaches own

skeeterh said:
Yes it's legal. Since most truckers have CB's it makes perfect sense to use a CB to tell em what door to report to to get loaded or unloaded.

Oh yeah that goes on all the time at Grocery/ distribution warehouses , gravel pits etc.
I'm sort of in agreement with Switchkit ....I'm just glad to see the radio being used. It's hard to catch many folks on the radio anymore !

W5LZ said:
Is commercial use of CB allowed? Yes, that was the original purpose of CB to start with (and still is). 'CB' was turned into an 'entertainment' band by common usage, not by statute or intent. I think it's hilarious that instead of the legitimate users complaining about the the people playing on the band as I can certainly remember, it's now the 'players' complaining about the legitimate users!
~Priceless~
- 'Doc

And it's funny that most of the CB comms are actually illegal. I read the rules closely and realized there is very little an average citizen can legally say on the band. For example, gossip is unlawful.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.