• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is it me or are CBers cheaper than hams?

People are all individuals...but if you go by the prices on ebay.....the people selling cb radios are greedy....and of course they sell nothing but cb radios but they have no way of testing them.

Reactions: 1 person
Building a kit radio is no assurance that the person will be enlightened as to how a radio works; it will either prove they can solder correctly and read instructions - or not.

Tolerance for those who have not made electronics their career and requiring them to understand much in order to have access to the airwaves is really the question some Hams pose. A CBer merely slaps some wires together with an antenna and a radio without a license and can do it. A kid can get some walkie-talkies for his birthday and can do it too. Almost everybody uses a cell phone and by proxy are doing the same thing.

Yet we expect and demand that Hams be enlightened - or go home. While there is much in the middle that is being held back to make A reach B. Less Elmering and more criticism will never reach the desired end. That is a formula for frustration on both sides. Or, it can be treated as a hobby; as that is what it was meant to be.

People are either cheap or they have too much money and don't care.

The intelligence and thoughtfulness behind this statement is something I don't see very often. Thanks for this Rob. Playing with cb's as a kid (long time ago), I never really understood how it all worked. The only thing I had to identify with was "The Smokey and The Bandit". LOL DX'ing is a whole other world and though I am a long, long ways off from getting my brain around it, I am grateful for the chance to talk to people all over the world in places I will never travel to. It is a great "hobby" if we respect it. I've noticed in the last week or so some real idiots playing music, cursing, dead keying and the like. Society is full of them so I guess I have to expect that. 99.999% of the folks I hear and have connected with are respectful and ethical.

Don't want to hijack this thread. Just wanted to say it's a great "hobby" for those who are decent folk looking to connect with people they will most likely never meet in their lifetimes. Pretty cool stuff!(y)

Reactions: 1 person
I had some gear for sale locally on a facebook garage sale site and i had my prices set very reasonable. I had no less than 4 CBers ask me if id consider just giving the radios away because they had no money!! Dont get me wrong i like a deal but holy crap! And the radios were not cheap things either most had SSB and one was a ssb base..

I think the opposite hams like to re use and build their own stuff ..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio