• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is the VX-3R worth getting?

JakiChan

May 5, 2010
This radio keeps tempting me. I see it every time I go to HRO. It sits there tempting me. It's the VX-8DRs younger brother. I keep telling myself "See, if I get that then I can throw a short but better whip on it and then put it in my laptop bag and always have a radio with me." I'm just not sure how useful 1.5w is.

Have other folks liked the radio?

The VX-3R is a remarkable little radio. It has an amazing amount of features for its size and number of buttons!

1.5W isn't much, but I've had plenty of luck with my local repeaters. They are pretty cheap used these days and I would recommend it if you want something small to throw in the laptop bag or keep in the glove box.

I use mine a lot for broadcast FM and WX receive as well.

Hold on for a while

I found this ad spruiking a Chinese copy(?) of the vx3r which looks like good value. Due Jan 2011 I think.

<************** snip *************************>

ALL-NEW TINY 3W DUALBAND TX-3R HANDHELD TRANSCEIVER

**Breakthrough price**

**DUALBANDER**
Only $99.00 AUD
Due soon

* 3W output across 144-148MHz and 430-450MHz bands
* Outstanding crossmodulation, intermodulation rejection and strong signal performance guarantees superior receiving
* Excellent receive sensitivity across the 2m and 70cm bands
* Compare to Yaesu VX-3R, etc.

I found this ad spruiking a Chinese copy(?) of the vx3r which looks like good value. Due Jan 2011 I think.

<************** snip *************************>

ALL-NEW TINY 3W DUALBAND TX-3R HANDHELD TRANSCEIVER

**Breakthrough price**

**DUALBANDER**
Only $99.00 AUD
Due soon

* 3W output across 144-148MHz and 430-450MHz bands
* Outstanding crossmodulation, intermodulation rejection and strong signal performance guarantees superior receiving
* Excellent receive sensitivity across the 2m and 70cm bands
* Compare to Yaesu VX-3R, etc.

Got a link?

I have a VX3 that I carry on business trips and its pretty nifty for 2M/70cm repeater work. I replaced the stock rubber ducky with a Maldol - even smaller antenna and its not much bigger than a mobile phone now!
Recommend you buy the programming software - otherwise you'll go nuts trying to program the memories for repeaters etc! I have a set of files for the major locations I travel to and simply 'blast' the HT with the repeater settings I need!
Great little radio and unbelievable price (got mine at HRO in Delaware)...
73, IanB de N3IAN

I can't remember, but i thought there waz a free program on the net.

Anyway, here's a link to some free Yaesu HT programming software.

http://www.kc8unj.com/

You can buy programming software here.

http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.