• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this possible?

Mar 20, 2012
I was cruising along US 12 in SD today when a call came through.

Breaker 19

Go ahead break

This is "sky truck" - we're a USAF C-130 heading to Portland from Delaware. Flying hurricane relief.
Cruising at 22,000 feet.

Any thoughts?

"Sky Truck"

You're just jealous 'cause their vehicle has way more "ground plane" than yours & even if you put a 102" whip on the highest point of your Freightliner they'd still have waaaaaaaaaaay more antenna height than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!

& besides that, they don't give a crap about SKIP conditions!!!!

Talk about a DREAM mobile setup!

It's possible but not so likely. Consider the obvious disorientation with the direction he said he was going in. Military aircraft do not engage in idle traffic conversations with anonymous people, identifying the type of aircraft, altitude and heading.

On the other hand there have been several aircraft on the CB in our area. The AM station has a Cessna and they talk on 19. Mostly to figure out what direction to fly in to get the best traffic report. The FM station then figured out all they needed was to buy a CB and put the hot sounding secretary on 19 to get their traffic report for free.

i would say yes possible, over the years i have had contact with a few air craft including a national guard one on training mission over florida. operator just wanted to know if he was getting out. 73s midnight special

I would also say it is possible, I have worked Aircraft doing touch and go landings at Edwards before, the Electronics operator, was ...um... bored.
You can bet the radios they use will cover 27 MHz if need be.

Jeff

I was cruising along US 12 in SD today when a call came through.

Breaker 19

Go ahead break

This is "sky truck" - we're a USAF C-130 heading to Portland from Delaware. Flying hurricane relief.
Cruising at 22,000 feet.

Any thoughts?

I think some smart ass on the radio was just pulling your leg.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.