• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this the Astroplane upside-down?

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
Does this look like it might be what we have been trying to figure out, "What is the Astroplane?"

Unipole.gif

geez, MC, could ya' try not to be so "wordy"?
some of us have things to do!LOL

just kiddin'.
marconi, where did you find that? and what is it?
loosecannon

Well, after MC said it was not a current symbol of how the old AstroPlane works, then I guess it is a lamp. Since he knows it is not the AP maybe he can tell us what it is.

I just saw it in an article and thought it looked a bit like the AP might. I presented it hoping somebody would know. I did look around on the Internet and only found some stuff that uses what seems like similar principals in MF broadcast radio antennas. From the descriptions of several Patents and design, it reads very much like the Patent of the AP, but no doubt I'm wrong. Never mind!

Marconi,
Oh, I wouldn't say you were too much 'wrong' about the similarity between patents. It really doesn't take much to make one patented device into another completely different patented device. From one or two that I've seen, it just takes a 'bad hair day' for the patent approver - lol.
- 'Doc

I won’t disagree that similarity among patented ideas are common, but I wouldn't go so far as to say:

W5LZ said:
…It really doesn't take much to make one patented device into another completely different patented device. From one or two that I've seen, it just takes a 'bad hair day' for the patent approver - lol.
- 'Doc

'Doc. I think making a patent is at least harder than sittin' on the pot reading the paper or jawbonin’ on one of these forums.

I have been curious for a long time to want to describe just what kind of antenna the AP was. I just never seemed to get anywhere creditable. I now think from what I have researched here, at least lends some creditability to the fact that maybe Avanti really did have a antenna idea or copied one, and it was not just the same old CB thing with a different curve or angle.

Finally, I think this design idea has a name, and its use and features seem to be well documented and understood in the antenna design business. I don't think it is a cure all or even the best design, but the idea would seem to have merits and very practical uses.

I don’t believe anymore that it is a 1/2 wave or 5/8 wave ground plane that just happens to be upside down.

Seminoles said:
SmackDown said:
Did a little browsing and see a company named ECO now has an AP version. Claims lol lol lol 8dbi
http://www.schuelein.com/electronic/data/ECOAstroPlane.pdf
and the cap hat is only 3 radials

Looks like the feed point isn't in the right place either.
Looks fine to me. If they are going to steal a design, why take the time to change it?

If you mean it is on the wrong side of the square bracket (off by one), then I'll give you that. But it is still fed in the same place.

Looks like the feed point isn't in the right place either.
Looks fine to me. If they are going to steal a design, why take the time to change it?

If you mean it is on the wrong side of the square bracket (off by one), then I'll give you that. But it is still fed in the same place.

Looks like the SO239 is on the single down leg I believe the original is on the side with the upper and lower legs.

Never mind went outside and looked don't know what I was thinking.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.