• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this the best western repeater directory on the 'Net?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I just found this site that has comprehensive repeater lists for the Western US and Canada. The best part is that it has a built in export feature that will dump the data into common formats that most programming software can read. I'm sure someof you know about this site, but for those that don't, definately check it out:

Amateur Radio Repeater Quick Search

Hard to say Mo. There's also one that gets kicked around at a place called hamshack.com I believe. But the contents depends on hams finding these sites and then volunteering to send/add data to them. The ARRL directory still probably reigns supreme ??

Last edited:
I have used the site for about a year now, even adding and updating some of the area repeaters. I like the feature that allows you to download repeater info for a specific route.

I just checked it for 70 cm repeaters in New Jersey, and it only lists machines in the north and central part of the state, there are no listings for any repeaters in the southern counties of Cape May, Cumberland, Salem, Burlington, Camden, or Atlantic counties.....:thumbdown:

If it's that incomplete for my state, I'd have to wonder how up to date it is for other states......:glare:

I was hoping that the ARRL TravelPlus application would be worth purchasing, but it get's very bad press on eham. I don't know why it would be so difficult for the ARRL or someone to put out a comprehensive repeater list in CSV format that also included city, county, and state so that it would be easy to import into any radio programming software. I may still purchase the TravelPlus software...

I can only assume that the hardest part about keeping any repeater directory current is the fact that so many clubs and individuals go through the process of putting one up, and within a year or two they either break down and don't get fixed, or they are taken off line due to inactivity.

There's a guy in the next County from me that had a 70 cm analog repeater up and running, when I got the ID-800H for the OEM I tried to program his repeater into that radio with no luck. I finally called the guy to ask if he took it off line, and he informed me that it was changed from analog to digital. He had it up as a digital repeater for about 3 months, then one day it again would not come up, I call him and was now informed that the digital equipment he was using was borrowed, and had to be returned, and that his repeater was now back to analog......

This is just one isolated scenario of what happens all around the country with 2 meter and 70 cm repeaters. One of the clubs I belong to had a 220 repeater up for approx 15 years, it's been off line for approx the last 8 to 10 years, yet it still shows up on a couple internet repeater lists, as does several other 2 meter, 220, and 70 cm repeaters that haven't been in operation for many years.

The main problem is, those who erect these machines jump through all the hoops to get them licensed, and approved frequency pairs assigned, but when they take them out of service they do not inform any of the regulatory agencies that the system is no longer in use, so they continue to be listed as active.

I a word......Frustrating.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.