• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

johnson messenger 223

fancy pants

Feb 9, 2011
hello. i am relatively new to tube radios. have done alot of work on tube guitar amps but this is my first tube cb. i purchased this from a friend and i must say its in mint condition. everything works as it should. had all the original tubes still in it which i replaced with all new tubes. put the originals aside for a rainy day. as i said everything operates as it should with the exception of the s meter. when i key the radio the meter works fine. it doesnt show any receive signal though. the meter drops below zero once the radio is turned on and it begins to receive. now i purchased another of these very cheap for parts. parts radio also works fine but condition is bad. meter worked fine on that one so i did the easy thing and switched meters with the same result. i know its not a bad meter. not alot of info on these radios so i am posing the question to the pros out here. Anyone know where to start searching for the problem? any help would be appreciated. of course it doesnt effect the function of the radio but its one of those things that just bothers you when it doesnt work. we all have those. hey, thanks for any help you can throw my way..

Looked couldn't find a schematic on line for the radio, sam 23 is the one it is in and I don't have that one. Need to find what feeds the meter.

Thanks for the schematic Zebbman.
Looks like first thing I would check or just replace is c9 or C84 both .01uf caps. If they are not the problem then you have the adjuster for zero pot R9 300 ohm, then there is R89 100ohm resistor, R10 1.5K, R86 2.7K, and R82 150 ohm. Think that was all there was in the circuit for the meter other than the two tubes and you said they were both new.

You need the SAMS PHOTO FACTS manual, there are two adjustments for the meter on the bottom of the radio but you need the SAMS for the pictures and tech data on how to do the adjusting if thats is all that is wrong with the meter.

Since everything else is working, I think it is safe to assume that the meter is out of adjustment. So, here's what SAM's #23 says about adjusting the meter.

First, locate R4. It is a large 300 ohm variable resistor located on the bottom side of the radio below V6 (6AW8A)

Next, with the power OFF, make certain that the meter reads Zero. If not use the mechanical adjuster on the meter to set it to zero.

Then turn on the radio and let it warm up for several minutes. Set the channel selector to channel 12. With the antenna disconnected (no signal), adjust R4 for a Zero reading on the meter.

To test the meter you will need an RF Generator. Connect it to the antenna connector thru a .01 uf cap. Set the generator to 27.105 Mhz with 100uv output. Meter should then read between S8 and 10 db over S9. (Obviously not the world's most accurate metering circuit !!)

Good luck. 73s

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog
HP-608E-UR Your next purchase. :whistle::whistle: I have adjusted mine using a hand held cb set on 27.105 mhz (channel twelve) I put the hand held out in the backyard keyed of course about 25 feet from the house and adjust the variable resister in the radio but with the antenna connected to the 223 if the meter is working you can adjust it to give a reasonal reading . Not many of these meters are very accurate any way. You could also have someone in a mobile do the same as the hand held just a thought. Careful the radio needs to be plugged in and turned on to adjust the meter this way, you could get knocked on your A$$ or worse if you are not careful!

Last edited:
Guess I just did the ASSUME mistake and figured that if the man changed the meter that he had already tried to adjust the meter first. OOPS.
Sooooo lets try it again without the OOPS.

i did try to adjust first. tried to adjust again but no luck. i got the sams for it and followed what it said but just wont work

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.