• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Jumper length question

Angler

Aug 7, 2011
AuSable River
I haven't got my antenna yet but it was shipped yesterday. I also haven't got my coax yet but it is being shipped today (I think). I ordered 50ft of coax to go from the antenna to the meter and I also ordered a 5ft jumper for between the meter and my radio.
My question is: Does it matter if the jumper is 5ft as opposed to any other length?
I am totally new to CB Radio.

What is this meter you are speaking of? Watt meter,SWR,... etc.

I do not believe you need a specific length. There was a major discussion on this subject, but an Amp was involved.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/installation-station-setup/116508-amp-coax-jumper-length.html

Read if you want to.

Yes Superidgit, I did read that before I posted and realized it didn't apply to me so I thought I would be more specific and post a question. Thank you.
Oh', the meter is an Astatic 600 made by Para Dynamics and is a SWR/RF Power Watts/Modulation with three seperate meters.

All common SWR meters have a 50 ohm input, unless there's something wrong with that meter. They work because they make comparisons between a 50 ohm 'standard' and whatever is connected to them. Being 'off' to a small degree (48, 50, 52, 55 ohms?) is also very common, and just doesn't mean a great deal at all. There's more variation in coax's characteristic impedance than that, doesn't matter who makes it.
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc,
I'm new to CB and can use all the info I can get. I'm fairly confident in my meter because I bought it from a friend and he will make it right if there is a problem with it.
I have enjoyed reading your posts throughout the forum.
Al

I haven't got my antenna yet but it was shipped yesterday. I also haven't got my coax yet but it is being shipped today (I think). I ordered 50ft of coax to go from the antenna to the meter and I also ordered a 5ft jumper for between the meter and my radio.
My question is: Does it matter if the jumper is 5ft as opposed to any other length?
I am totally new to CB Radio.

Whatever it takes to get from point A to point B. If you have a mobile setup with an amp, jumper lengths can make a difference if the amp has less than perfect tuning issues. A friend runs a Davemade SE400 2x4 comp amp and unless he runs a 12 ft jumper between the amp and meter, the SWR's read through the roof. A meter won't read correctly with a 4-1 swr, thus the 12 ft to bring the swr down to flat. Mobiles are funny that way.
If you are running a radio then no problem.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.