• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just a goodbye...

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you out here who have helped me over the time I've been here. I'm sorry to say but my time has come to say I've moved out of the hobby. I have moved into a new home and cannot put up a antennae due to historical location and I have decided to sell what was left of my equiptment to invest in my daughters schooling fund. There are a few out here that I must mention such as Bootymonster, Exitthirteen and Robb. I also have a special thank you to all of you who have given me antenna advice and done videos to show how to do and make things. For those of you just getting started out here you have come to the right place as these guys will help anyway they can. God bless you all and be safe out there where ever your journey in life may take you.....Tim once known as BammBamm 173 South side of Chicago....I will miss talking to you guys on the air

Reactions: 2 people

As ROBB said get a mobile set up.

Get your license.

The knowledge you have gained here by others helping you is now your knowledge to pass on to others.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you out here who have helped me over the time I've been here. I'm sorry to say but my time has come to say I've moved out of the hobby. I have moved into a new home and cannot put up a antennae due to historical location and I have decided to sell what was left of my equiptment to invest in my daughters schooling fund. There are a few out here that I must mention such as Bootymonster, Exitthirteen and Robb. I also have a special thank you to all of you who have given me antenna advice and done videos to show how to do and make things. For those of you just getting started out here you have come to the right place as these guys will help anyway they can. God bless you all and be safe out there where ever your journey in life may take you.....Tim once known as BammBamm 173 South side of Chicago....I will miss talking to you guys on the air

nothing says you have to have a radio to be the member of the forum. you can always stay on the forum and help if you want and learn from others just for your own knowledge.

Reactions: 1 person
Or you can keep it simple, keep it strictly mobile. I had to take my station down last year due to pressure from real estate agents as we were listing the farm for sale. I'm running 2, 10, 11, 12 metres mobile and am having more fun now then before. Just sayingit an option.

Bamm dont give up as of yet !! Research your options before throwing in the towel.

You would be surprised what folks have come up with to hide antennas.

I have heard of people putting dipoles in their attics( even virticals if the attic was tall enough),on the facure ,on the upper walls under the soffets,an inverted V on a gable end of a roof,even loading up the metal gutters on the lower ham bands .

I have personally seen a vhf.uhf antenna that slips over a plumbing sink vent and looks just like the pipe itself and it works very well !!

Then there as posted above pure mobile ops ......

I am willing to bet between all of us here we can figure out a way keep you in radio somehow !!

You can still run an indoor antenna. May not work as well as what you are used to but it will work. I'm running attic antennas only and a mobile setup and still having fun.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't give up!....I have similar issues at the home qth. Mobile operation and getting a ham license are two good options. Both will keep ya on the air. Mobile operations are fun for me, worked well over 100 divisions on 27mhz.
I have wanted to test for the ham license for many years.....finally after a week of testing on the eham study tests about 30 minutes per day....just taking the test until I felt I could pass the tech, I did the same on the general. Passed both same nite! The tests are easy! Just makeup your mind and spend part of each evening taking the study tests, you'll see after a couple rounds you will be able to pass the tech....then start the general doing the same.
I'm sure someone might feel I'm over simplifying but I was very shocked. The tech test was a gimmie .... Super easy!
I don't want to make it seem like our testing is easy, but IT REALLY IS EASY. The tech test is basically to make sure you know the basic safety needed to operate and where you can operate. The general is just a little more knowledge. I did not study the extra exams but took it as well...missed 4 too many. This was with just a week or so of study when I had a few minutes. :bdh: JUST START, you'll see after a hour or so your options will open up dramatically! I should have done it years ago.....now to find a new radio! Will be your next step. :)

Reactions: 2 people
I'm hitting my local repeater at full quieting with about 500mw from a ground plane 2m antenna in the attic. No one can believe that I am running such low power. I'm using a G5RV Jr. in the attic and I've made good strong contacts on 10 with and without power.

Gonna miss ya BammBamm! But at least have a look at what these guys are telling you about how to have an indoor setup, antennas, mobile setups, etc. You can have a setup and still be able to hit the local repeaters and still enjoy the hobby. Might not be CB, but at least on 2M you can still ragchew with some of the gang. And going mobile is always a viable option.

Even if you can't put up anything, please stay around on the forums! Even if you can't run a radio, doesn't mean you can't hang out here now and then and enjoy the forums!

~Cheers~

Reactions: 3 people
Hate to see you go bud, You have been here awhile but I understand that you have to do what you have to in life. You may not always agree with it or want to but you have to do what you feel is best. I gave up radio for a few years myself because of restrictions where I lived but am at it again and have been for years now and fortunately where I live is not a problem.

Take care Tim and please check in with us from time to time to say "Hi" and let us know how your doing and whats new. Take care my friend and good luck with the new adventures you may take......Tony

Once you make that first contact and the spark hits you and lights up your eyes, You may take a break but the magic of radio will call you crashing back into the rocks. I am sure you will be back. Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.