• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just a goodbye...

Wife made my day today!

The wife called me in from cutting the grass and told me she tired of my lack of desire or motivation in anything and want to know whats going on and is it something she did. She was shocked to learn it had nothing to do with her but was due to not being able to tinker and play with my radios.{Cry_river} I still have 2 radios that I can't seem to sell a old 148gtl and a 29ltd well one thing led to another and she told me to go figure out a way to make myself happy to which I told her I can't put my antenna up.:sad: After she proceeded to tell me she has seen me on a roof in snow standing on a extension ladder to put up an antenna that I could "FIND A WAY!" She made me leave the house and go "fix myself".:unsure: I took a trip to...Radio Shack and found a 50' piece of old rg-8 for $20 and a 5 watt power supply for $30 and a few various connectors and headed home....Well after about 2 hours of tinkering I came up with a solution.:eek: I ran my coax up the corner of my siding under the corner cap to the roof and under the facia board to the peak on the back side of my house and then strung a homemade dipole about 6" above the peak of the home and used wooden dowel rods to support it (painted silver). But I extended the dipole with black dacron from end to end of the house and ran a dummy piece of wire down the side of the house to a 2' piece of rebar in the ground, Why you ask because the local code enforcement officer lives 2 doors down and walked down to see what I was up to (he don't like me). Told him it was a lightning arrestor system so my house don't get hit and burn. He bought it and also gave me a HH12-3 form on the spot and approved it!:whistle: The form is for any mod done to your home that might be visible to neighbors. I have a great signal north and south and made a contact to Alsip Illinois from here in Steger Illinois which is about 25 miles.:p: I have a huge tree in the back yard but I'm unsure about how to get coax to it without having a 200' run. I am currently using the 148gtl on a power supply. Sure is quiet after sundown around here.:sad:

Reactions: 1 person
I can only say you made my day!!!:w00t: Thats nice to hear you are still doing something. Here is what I do.... I play with the radios, and I also have a scanner that I listen to when the nights are quiet on the CB. I have a dual band radio that I use when I feel like sitting under the tree in the yard. There are all kinds of radios to play with!!!!!!! keep up posting on the Worldwide Radio Forum web site let us know whats going on!!!!1:pop:

goodbye

Glad the wife motivated you, and the housing patrol bought your story.

Now lay cool for a while from outside antenna work, he probably will glance at it off and on.

As someone suggested get a ham ticket , with your knowledge of radio and antennas you wont need much study for your tech license..qrzdotcom.....

DOCTOR/795

I have tge same dipole set up in my roof. 6" off the ridge. Cant see it at all, then upgraded to a vertical dipole in a tree on 100' coax rg8x. Talked skip all over scince last summer with the horizontal.

Also make sure you run a clean signal so your prick neighbor doesnt catch on

I do miss my sirio s2016 and my last radio....My last one was a Voyager V9000 thay had WAY too much money in it. As for listening to a scanner I do that anyway just because I wonder how long it will be until I hear someone I know on it, Besides most of the local cops are old classmates of mine. My wife went to school with the code enforcement officers daughter and we found out he is against any and all amatuer radio. I have also found out that if licensed I can erect a tower no more than 75' from ground to tip of antenna and it cannot have a beam or radials only "a free standing vertical antenna assembly not to exceed 75' when measured from ground level to top are only allowed and approved by H.H.S. **for licensed ham operators**" I think a Gainmaster is in order! Along with some studying.:love:

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.