• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just got a 2000GTL

MADMAXS 455

Dec 2, 2005
I picked up a 2000gtl Fer $200 Canadian.
Came with 2 speakers,D104 mic, Original box and manual.
X-mit's great as well as recieve.
For Extra chanels they mucked up the anl and nb switches to do this.
She's been peaked and tuned because it shure ain't pushin 4w on am ect.
Ok now the down side....
The freq. conter's wandering all over the place after it's been on for a couple of min. and the meters are stuck and don't move.
Anybody got any sugestins on how to settle down the freq. counter or any ideas about gettin the meters to work?
Thanks for you're time guys.
:beer

each meter has a small set screw on them , after you remove the meters metal harness you can take a very small jewlers flat head screw driver ,remove the scotch tape from over the meters holes and very carefully and slowly work the screw SLIGHTY back and forth , try and watch the meter while your doing this , "if" they loosen up you will see a slight pop in movement on the needle and you should be back in business ......remember , slightly and carefully when doing this.....it's the only chance you got to bring those meters back to life , you can pretty much do this on any type needled radio meter. ........I recall a fix for your freq counter as well ,but avails me at the moment so hopefully someone else will chime in on that for you. Good Luck

Sorry, but the counter probably needs all 10 electrolytic capacitors inside the shielded module changed. If you hear a soft "buzz" in the receiver audio that changes tone with changes on the counter display, that confirms it.

There are two slug-tuned coils in the counter that require a 'scope to peak them properly. But if you note the position of each slug turned before turning it, at least you can return the slug to the position where you found it. And if a quarter turn one way or the other makes it settle down, that was cheaper. If one or the other (or both) is not peaked, it can make the counter display squirrelly, and sensitive to temperature rise.

Thanks for the info guys and I' let ya know how things progress.
Ya Nomad I got no buzzin with the radio's audio but some times my head kinda does. I got an Yeasu FRG7000 that does what you described when the freq. counter is on though.
HHMMMMMMMMM.
I haven't looked inside yet to see how the mod was done and which PLL is in there.
It's made in Taiwan.
It hasn't been used in 10 yrs or so. It was buddy's ol' mans before he died so I was Expecting some issues but for the most part it's like new looking.
Right now I have this thing going through Texas Star DX400V swinging 300+ MFJ watt meter watts on SSB but haven't had a QSO with anyone yet.
All the truck drivers say it sounds great on AM though and through the DX400 on AM I get about 150w.
In time I'm sure I'm Going to change all the electrolytes because I plan on keeping this one.
Now I gotta find a service man.
Thanks Guy's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.