• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just got my brand new Ranger2950Dx installed!!

AmericanEagle575

Supporting Sr. Member WDX-1863
Feb 17, 2016
Bellefonte,Pennsylvania
Well Good evening Radio folks, finally got my Ranger2950Dx up and running, no contacts yet,seems like conditions are funny lately, still getting used to the radio knobs and the VFO,I think that's right term as the other radios I had were channelized,Galaxy 88,etc. If I remember correctly the best time for band conditions for 11 meter SSB are in the morning and early afternoon, not sure,well that's it guys,Later and 73's...........

Attachments

• IMG_20160308_172315140_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160308_172315140_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24

Well Good evening Radio folks, finally got my Ranger2950Dx up and running, no contacts yet,seems like conditions are funny lately, still getting used to the radio knobs and the VFO,I think that's right term as the other radios I had were channelized,Galaxy 88,etc. If I remember correctly the best time for band conditions for 11 meter SSB are in the morning and early afternoon, not sure,well that's it guys,Later and 73's...........

Glad to hear you got it all together. Skip has been strange lately. Today I made only a couple of contacts from Texas to California and to Florida. Monday seemed to be really busy, but I just listened.

The weekends to me seem to be the best time to dx, but usually I'm too busy to play radio. Anyway hope to hear you out there, 553 are the numbers from these 18 wheels in and around Texas.

NICE RADIO

NICE RADIO
Thanks for your comments, I like the Ranger2950Dx as iam still getting used to it,I really like the mic that comes with it,you can change the channel's which make it handy for Mobile use,not sure if it would be worth replacing it with a astatic 636 noise cancelling mic down the road, if it would make any difference on SSB....

Hey American Eagle, congrats on the install! I wouldn't replace that mic with a 636. The Ranger mics are a good quality piece and besides, it's handy to have the channel change capabilities.

I'd go with a road devil over the 636.
you can hit the [man] button to change it to a 40 channel setup. I find that easier when I'm driving. that will keep you in the 11 meter band though.

Last edited:
downloadfile.jpeg I haven't tried a road devil on my 2950dx but would probably be fine. I do like my 636. I have always been partial to these through the years. Putting buttons in them for channels isn't to hard of a project. Ran one years ago on a emperor and 2510. Decided to do it again when I installed my rci in the car. The reports I got was that the stock mic was a little muffled...although I do like the weight it has and it does feal good in your hand. Just my .02...

I have never been impressed with the Astatic 636, always sounded tinny or high pitched. Most locals on the radio sounded the same. For SSB use that RCI stock mic will be hard to beat. The Astatic Road Devil NC mics were always great if you can find a nice one. For a real noise filled environment an RK56 is hard to beat.

Reactions: Hurricane95
Nobody has mentioned the RF limited CR577 or the 2018 extreme. Both great mics as well. Always got great audio reports with my 2018 extreme no matter which radio I used it on. And it has a nice NC feature. I always just used mine as a power mic and left the echo all the way down. A touch of reverb isn't bad on AM, but sometimes it didn't sit well with the SSB gang. Depends on how you set it up I suppose. But just using it as a power mic always worked well for me. Just some mkre food for thought.
You can add a bit of weight to mic or the bottom of it anyways with a snap on ferrite choke wrapped once around on the mic cord. Or get a small one that snaps on snugly to the mic cord for added weight. That or hit up the local tire shop or auto zone and p/u some lead sticky weights and add them inside the mic for some added weight. Again, just some food for thought. I've a 636 I never use like 9C1Driver I couldn't get mine to sound very good. Always got its muffled or tinny. Think I has to do more with the way your voice sounds as to which mic will work best for you. JMHO. If the 636 works for you then use that. But there are many other choices as well!! That is for certain LOL!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.