• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TH-D72: Can it be controlled externally?

rcollette

Apr 27, 2011
Looking for my first radio and I was wondering if the TH-D72 can be controlled through an external interface (i.e. by a PC, smartphone, etc). I looked in the manual and could not find mention of it. I was thinking it could be useful for skirting around the control issues mentioned when adjusting for dopler shift.

Thank you,
Rich
(waiting for the call sign to be assigned tomorrow)

pappy.gif
Until someone pipes in - I found New Kenwood TH-D72...more...

The computer interface port (that was a classic RS-232 port on the TH-D7) is now a mini-USB port like the ones on many cell phones, digital cameras, and Garmin car GPS units. Actually it is a serial port internally, converted to USB with a chip similar to the ones on the typical USB<-->serial adapter-cable "dongles". The only difference is that (like many current "USB" GPS devices) the conversion is inside the device instead of in a cable. This USB interface replaces the "main" serial port of the old TH-D7.

Like the usual dongles, you install a driver in the Windows PC to convert the USB connection back to a virtual COM port so that serial-port-oriented APRS programs and radio programming utilities can still "think" they are using a serial connection.

The currrent Kenwood "Memory Control Program" being offered for this radio is the MCP-4A software intended for the non-APRS predecessor radio. You can edit memory frequencies, PL codes, etc, but there is NO support for any of the APRS features in the memory config program (unlike the software for the TH-D7).

You may have seen my review on this radio. The answer is: yes and no.

There is a list of commands that you can use to control the radio, most of which affect the TNC. A list of the commands can be found here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/92416-kenwood-th-d72-tnc-commands.html

However, your question was about controlling some of the basic functions to deal with doppler shift of satellites. As far as I know, there is no software available that has the capability of controlling the radio as you are hinting at. It looks to me like it would be possible to write your own app to control the radio using the available commands, but I don't think anyone has done it yet. I could be wrong.

It IS possible to access the TNC in the Kenwood TH-D72 via PC for use with APRS or other Packet VHF/UHF modes. This is the strength of the little radio. If you're looking for your first radio, I would probably steer you toward something else, however. In my mind, the TH-D72 targets a very narrow ham radio customer that isn't in the majority. What it does, it does well...but not everyone wants to do what it is made for ;)

But why not?

First, your review was awesome and I very much appreciate your assistance.

I am a programmer, with an EE degree and spent some years as a network administrator as well. A lot of my interest in HAM at this point is in digital communications (but not solely). I am also a backpacker, frequently up on peaks on the Appalachian Trail where radio reception is more likely to be better than what I have experienced with a cell phone. Put it all together and this HT seems to fit my interests.

The fact that there is no software yet sparks my interest all the more. In college we did a triangulated targeting application using stepper motors from junked typewriters (back when typewriters still existed) and a broken sonar based electronic measuring tape. I have to believe that there are existing automated tracking applications but I wonder if there's anything that works with a handheld radio and an Android phone. I would really like to combine existing SAT tracking software (or libraries), the GPS data, antennae positioning and automated frequency tuning and see what results I can get. I'm probably killing the "analog" experience of swinging one's arms around holding an antennae.

I know, the radio is expensive but experience is priceless. I've researched the Yaesu 8xGr and frankly, the reviews didn't sound inviting to me. Difficult menus, smaller battery, no tnc, etc. The Kenwood sounds like a value in comparison.

I am curious if anything other than the price of this HT is why you would suggest a noob (I'm probably not using the proper HAM slang here) start with something else. It's possible I don't know what I don't know at this point.

Personally, I prefer the VX-8r / VX-8DR over the Kenwood TH-D72. I find that overall, it has much more functionality that I use more often than the TNC in the Kenwood. I personally find the VX8 series UI to work better for me, as well. There are more menus because it has a lot more functionality and options that can be configured. I also like the way it presents GPS and APRS data over the TH-D72. Obviously, these preferences are personal and won't be shared by everyone.

It's also my opinion that most APRS users are the type that enjoy tracking themselves and friends and messing around with messaging, but have no need or use for a 5 watt digipeater. While the TH-D72's implementation of APRS is superior to the VX-8 radios, it's my opinion that 80% of the users will find the VX-8 good enough to suit their needs. I have no way of proving this other than tracking sales volume of both units. But after using both radios, I find that I almost never turn on digipeating functions in the TH-D72.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.