• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-D710 GPS?

Green Light Labs GPS-710

Found this, anyone have experience using this or another GPS for the D710?

UR doesn't list one specifically, Kenwood TM-D710A TMD710 APRS Mobile Radio. From reading, it seems like a pretty standard GPS.

Thanks

jm

I used it with my 710, it is VERY easy to set up and works great. If your not interested in having an additional navigation gps inside your vehicle that connects to the radio then you will like how compact it is.

Simply put, it is a small black box connected to the radio to provide accurate gps information for aprs.

What I use

I also have TM-D710 (two of them) and I use:
1. A Holux RS232 GPS.
2. Leadtek OEM module, embedded in the control panel of the radio.

The Holux GPS is a "mouse" type GPS. I extracted the GPS module, I put a LM7805 stabiliser circuit into a new box and made a RJ45 adapter in order to use a single wire to attach the GPS. Is somehow similar to the one from Green Light.

Here are some more infos about:
Holux: A RADIOAMATEUR'S BLOG: GPS for Kenwood TM-D710
Leadtek: A RADIOAMATEUR'S BLOG: OEM GPS inside TM-D710 Front Panel

Excellent product I use with my D710A. Once attached to the back of the control head you never know its there. Completely pass-thru in both directions. Meaning that there is a data jack on the control cable side from the main radio box which has decoded GPS data from the APRS receive. The data has limited use because of the sentence structure choice you have in the radio setup. The data from a single APRS source is not linked or deleting the old with the new. After about 15 minutes you will have hundreds of waypoints. I was running into my Garmin MAP60c. Other devices or a laptop might be able to parse the data better.

GPS startup is very fast as long as the power is not completely removed from the radio like a relay power disconnect. I expect that the GPS710 always has power to keep operating if only using the on/off on the control panel. If the power is completely remove my impression is that the GPS startup to lock condition is relatively quick.

Hope that helps,
Mike KE5VYU

Green Light Labs GPS-710

Found this, anyone have experience using this or another GPS for the D710?

UR doesn't list one specifically, Kenwood TM-D710A TMD710 APRS Mobile Radio. From reading, it seems like a pretty standard GPS.

Thanks

jm

Mike, the GreenLight takes power from the main 10V line which feed the front panel or the RC-D710.
The power is always present as long the radio is connected to 12V (car's battery).
So, the start is a "warm" one.
I used the same trick when I made my version of GreenLight with a Holux GPS.
Also, the same as above when I embeded the OEM GPS inside the front panel, except that there is a 5V LDO regulator.
The power is always present in the front panel, even the radio is "off". It is not a power-cut "off", just a stand-by form.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.