• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KENWOOD TM733A Question

The TSU-8 CTCSS Tone Decoder is a small board that plugs into your radio. It allows you to search for repeater tones so you can talk. I am not going into what a tone is other than say your radio will transmit a specific tone (you will not hear it) which is recognized by other radios and allows you to use their system. The tones are used in many different ways with radios however, repeater access is the most common.
Look at your local repeaters on line and you will see the frequency and next to it a "tone" number like 110.9Hz, or 156.7 Hz (normally just the numbers) for example. To use that repeater you must enter the correct tone in your radio or the repeater will ignore your signal. You may want to Google it for a technical answer.

Reactions: 1 person
The TSU-8 CTCSS Tone Decoder is a small board that plugs into your radio. It allows you to search for repeater tones so you can talk. I am not going into what a tone is other than say your radio will transmit a specific tone (you will not hear it) which is recognized by other radios and allows you to use their system. The tones are used in many different ways with radios however, repeater access is the most common.
Look at your local repeaters on line and you will see the frequency and next to it a "tone" number like 110.9Hz, or 156.7 Hz (normally just the numbers) for example. To use that repeater you must enter the correct tone in your radio or the repeater will ignore your signal. You may want to Google it for a technical answer.

so in lame terms, without the TSU-8 installed in my radio will only operate Simplex?

CTCSS
or Pl tone.. Tone Squelch ..Often said on the air around here as..
What tone or PL is the repeater using?
Example:
The club repeater is on 147.180, negative offset with a PL tone of 88.5 hz.
Moons ago PL tone was not always standard on some radios, so you had to add a tone board.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.