• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS-450SAT

kitster007

Apr 15, 2013
I recently purchased this radio and it has a TX problem. It seems when the rig is cold it works and modulates to a full 100 watts @ 13.85 Volts with power and modulation at 100%. Once the unit warms up then it will only put out 1/2 watt output but still receives fine. If I turn unit off and let it get cold then turn back on same symptom. I was wondering if anyone out there has seen this problem before? I took all the panels off and everything in this rig looks clean around the transmit finals and the capacitors look clean. I was kinda leaning towards maybe a bad thermostat or regulator? All the testing so far has been on 10 meters. If anyone can help me out with troubleshooting or lead me to a technician that maybe has seen this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More info.

Is this in CW mode or SSB?

Does the internal fan come on?

Have you tried putting a small exterior fan blowing on the back of the rig to try and keep it cooler?

Are you testing it into a dummy load or an antenna?

What is the VSWR of the antenna on the frequency you are testing it at?

I recently purchased this radio and it has a TX problem. It seems when the rig is cold it works and modulates to a full 100 watts @ 13.85 Volts with power and modulation at 100%. Once the unit warms up then it will only put out 1/2 watt output but still receives fine. If I turn unit off and let it get cold then turn back on same symptom. I was wondering if anyone out there has seen this problem before? I took all the panels off and everything in this rig looks clean around the transmit finals and the capacitors look clean. I was kinda leaning towards maybe a bad thermostat or regulator? All the testing so far has been on 10 meters. If anyone can help me out with troubleshooting or lead me to a technician that maybe has seen this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More info.

Is this in CW mode or SSB?

Does the internal fan come on?

Have you tried putting a small exterior fan blowing on the back of the rig to try and keep it cooler?

Are you testing it into a dummy load or an antenna?

What is the VSWR of the antenna on the frequency you are testing it at?

I was testing on SSB and yes the internal fan spins on keydown. I was testing on an antenna with a SWR of around 1.5 to 1.8 to 1 on 28000mhz. Haven't tried to bypass the Antenna tuner to verify its working correctly thou.

Try to test without the tuner. Dummy load would be great for testing all bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1