• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS-480 HF Models questions?

I have one, the TS-480SAT version. I think the built in tuner is much handier to have than an 'extra' 100 watts, a lot easier to power too. No problems with it, it does exactly what it claims to be able to do. The remote head is very nice if/when you want to mount it in a mobile. I don't think it's a 'problem' at all, but some people really get 'bent' because the mic doesn't connect to the head, but to the radio body. I have the head mounted on the face of the dash, the radio body under the seat. Mic comes up from under the seat, isn't dangling in the way. Also means that if you feel like it, the head could be mounted on the visor, or above the mirror, or where ever just running one easy to hide cable. A speaker is in the head, or use the a remote connection on the radio's body.
My biggest (and only) complaint is that I hate menus! With the present day 'style' of radio, that's just something I have to get used to though, so big deal. Is it the "end all" of radios? Not really, but then I haven't ever seen one that was completely 'perfect' anyway. There's always something that was done just a tiny bit differently, you know? This '480 replaced another Kenwood radio that I thought was about as good as a radio could get. I was really surprised at the difference. That other Kenwood is no longer in production, which I thought was the biggest mistake Kenwood could have made. I used that radio for over 15 years, was (am) very comfortable with it. Oh well, things change for the better sometimes.
If you have the resources, buy it new!
- 'Doc

Oh. It has 'audio' DSP. I'm old fashioned, I like filters, but can certainly 'live' with DSP too. The 'audio' DSP isn't exactly as 'nice' as the RF DSP, but it works, which is nicer than not having it.
And of course... if you ain't got Kenwood, you do got squat! :)

Reactions: Moleculo
Ok..thanks for the response.. I love Kenwoods also, I have had several. not just any new models. .. should I buy SSB fiter? I will be asking you more questions.. LOL..
thanks again.. :D

I think that if I were you, I'd wait and see if I thought I needed filters or not. You can 'pinch' things down quite well without them, but it's really a matter of your judgment. I doubt if I bother with filters. I will say this though. Kenwood filters are junk, period. If you do get filters, get them from Inrad, they are NOT junk, there's a very 'hearable' difference with them.
- 'Doc

Everything, mic too, is 'bone' stock. I haven't seen a need to change the mic at all, there are just too many adjustments that can be made to compensate for any suspected 'faults'. I can tell you that any changes/adjustments to compression processing etc, ought to be done very conservatively. (If you've used Kenwood before, you probably know that anyway.)
If I were to change mics, I've had very good luck with Heil microphones, the HM-5(?) cartridge specifically. The only problem I see with that is that @#$ connector, I hate them 'RJ-45'(?) things! I can understand why they are used, but that doesn't mean I can install them, or like'em. Oh well.
And just for grins, take a look at those 'Power Pole' connectors while you're shopping. I wish I'd known about those thingys a 100 years ago, they are -very- nice, and simple! I haven't run across anything that they wouldn't 'improve' making connections to, sort of. Well, not with microphones, but dang close even there.
- 'Doc

The 480s are great radios. The HX is what I have an I love having the extra 100 watts. When you run digital modes the duty cylce is real low using that radio. You can easily power it with an IOTA 55 amp power supply as a base. They only run around $150.

The filtering in the stock radio is pretty darn good. There is SOOOOOO much you can do with a computer hooked to that radio. I sent you a pm, you can call and discuss if you want. I talk better than I type. :)

Hi, thanks for the response.. I will check your PM and call you.. very interested in your info and much easier on tx.. hitting the sack here in a few in Boise, but will call you soon..
Thanks,
Doug

Hi.. Question.. since the faceplate does not attach to the body, like Icom 706 is the faceplate stable on your table or does it rock around? how do you keep from falling over etc.. does it have suction cups or whatever, and how long are the connection cords?
Thanks in advance (y)

The 'stand' or mount is a metal 'bracket' with a 'tilt' hinge. The head isn't heavy enough to keep it's self still, so mounting that 'bracket' or 'stand' to something is very nice. I used the base of a lamp, plastic coated lead or something, and it does just fine. A brick would be fine too if you found one you could stand looking at. In the truck I use velcro to stick it to the top of the dash behind the steering wheel (see it over the wheel).
I haven't seen them for sale in the USA but there's a European thingy that combines the head's bracket and the radio's mount, into one package. I've been tempted, but can't find where to get one.
I've forgotten how long the control cable is, but it's long enough to reach from under the drivers seat to under the dash (along the floor), up-around dash moulding to the top of the steering wheel, with some left over. I figure about 10 feet or so. If that won't reach, there's always an extension kit. I'm certainly not sure, but I think it's the same cable a telephone uses, and if so, just make your own (Wal-Mart has all those connectors). Just checked, it's the same connector, but the cable is four conductor, not just two like most telephone cords. Whatever...
- 'Doc

Purchased the Kenwood ts-480sat,3 weeks ago.Has stock filters,mic..Great reports..Shipped to door $937.75 with Mars Mod with $300.00 of rebate from Gigaparts...73s...Rick

Purchased the Kenwood ts-480sat,3 weeks ago.Has stock filters,mic..Great reports..Shipped to door $937.75 with Mars Mod with $300.00 of rebate from Gigaparts...73s...Rick

Yes, I ordered TS-480 today from kinda local retailer.. they did Mars mod for $35.. should be here Friday..we will see how it works..
Doug(y)

Hi.. Question.. since the faceplate does not attach to the body, like Icom 706 is the faceplate stable on your table or does it rock around? how do you keep from falling over etc.. does it have suction cups or whatever, and how long are the connection cords?
Thanks in advance (y)

I screwed mine right to the desk. If you don't want to commit - VELCRO.

Yes, I got mine and used the egg shaped desk mount and used some double sided sticky tape..does not move and works great.. love the radio so much I ordered the 480 hx.. love it also..
thanks for all the help selecting these two radios.
Doug:love:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.