• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood ts-50

Audio Man

Jan 13, 2008
OK, So I'm trying to get this thing to TX on lsb 11m.
I went to do the mod with d-5, but it was already done!, there are no other diodes in those slots for 2-3-4. I also did the cpu reset (full) and still no go. I can receive on lsb, but i have to go to menu b number 71. But will only tx on am.
HELP!!
I have done nothing else to this radio, as i said the d-5 was already clipped.

Odd! It's been a while since I've used a TS-50, and I couldn't remember how to change USB/LSB if my life depended on it, but! It's certainly possible and not that hard to do. Best advice is to read the manual (GET one if you don't have one already!). It ought'a be a front panel control, can't find the @#$ thing to check... hate when I do that. Or don't do that, I guess.
- 'Doc

Odd! It's been a while since I've used a TS-50, and I couldn't remember how to change USB/LSB if my life depended on it, but! It's certainly possible and not that hard to do. Best advice is to read the manual (GET one if you don't have one already!). It ought'a be a front panel control, can't find the @#$ thing to check... hate when I do that. Or don't do that, I guess.
- 'Doc

well, the man says that it will not tx on lsb above 9.5, but clipping that mod (d-5) and reseting the cpu should have done the trick. But it did not, and there is nothing in the man about making it tx on lsb above 9.5.
I'm lost with it, I'm hoping that there is someone out here who can help me get this straight. everything else works fine, just no lsb above 9.5.

The convention (for hams) is LSB below 20 meters and USB above. The TS-50 is a ham rig, and that convention may be built in. You might not be able to change it without a LOT of work.

After the 'Mars' mode, the TS-50 will work on any freq range between 160 and 30 Mhz. It will also do any of the modes (U/Lssb, AM, FM, whatever) in that freq range. If I'm not mistaken, it can be set up to change U/L SSB automatically, or manually, that'd be a menu item. Can't remember if the AM power thingy is automatic or not, probably not. Best bet is to crank it back to about 20 watts on AM. It 'says' 25 watts, but still do 20, just works better that way. Don't expect superfragalistic AM, you ain't gonna find it with any of the 'newer' radios.
The front pannel or mic buttons should give the U/L SSB choice. I know I have the manual on an old drive (Ide/Sata compatibility thingy) but can't get to it. The manual WILL explain about it! I just LOVE menus, don't you??
Beside the point, I think you've got about the best mobile radio around. A mobile radio needs to be 'simple', you just can't pay a lot of attention to one when you're driving. The TS-50 fit's that bill just dandy. End of commercial.
- 'Doc

After the 'Mars' mode, the TS-50 will work on any freq range between 160 and 30 Mhz. It will also do any of the modes (U/Lssb, AM, FM, whatever) in that freq range. If I'm not mistaken, it can be set up to change U/L SSB automatically, or manually, that'd be a menu item. Can't remember if the AM power thingy is automatic or not, probably not. Best bet is to crank it back to about 20 watts on AM. It 'says' 25 watts, but still do 20, just works better that way. Don't expect superfragalistic AM, you ain't gonna find it with any of the 'newer' radios.
The front pannel or mic buttons should give the U/L SSB choice. I know I have the manual on an old drive (Ide/Sata compatibility thingy) but can't get to it. The manual WILL explain about it! I just LOVE menus, don't you??
Beside the point, I think you've got about the best mobile radio around. A mobile radio needs to be 'simple', you just can't pay a lot of attention to one when you're driving. The TS-50 fit's that bill just dandy. End of commercial.
- 'Doc

lol
I love the radio, I have 3 power choices, 10w 50w and 100w, I printed the Manuel but dont see anything about changing it on the ssb.

Try this.
Bottom right hand corner of the face, there's the SSB/AM/FM mode selector. Push and hold the SSB button. See if there's a change in the U/L. Should be able to 'get out' of it the same way you get in, hold the button down. A socond or two ought'a do it.
- 'Doc

(No, didn't find the @#$ manual, just guessing from looking at the face.)

USB/LSB/AM/CW/FM setup

After teh mod to the diode, you should be able to go to the menus, I don't remember which one, and select the use of the button. . . As you select the mode, it will id in code what mode you have selected as well as display on the screen. . . . I have been using mine for 6 years and have been able to select at will. . . Maybe this contact can help you, KA4RKT . . . .Gud Luk 73 :)

My wife has one aswell along with the matching AT-50 tuner and that radio is just a fantastic little rig I thought of selling it a few times to upgrade or to get another yaesu ft- 857d and the wife says nope the guys in the area tell her she sounds like a movie star on that little mobile so she says thats her movie star radio and she doesnt want to let it go.

All in all its one of the best radio investments Ive ever done and has been trouble free which throws me for a loop that you are having that issue with opening the transmit on it. We love using hers on the 10 meter band it tunes fast and that tuner is not finicy like some it tunes about anything anywhere and for an auto tuner to be that forgiving its awsome.

Sounds to me like something wasnt done right or is missing with that mod to that one. Something altered along the line?

Audio man, ill41 has it right. Go to Menu A #4 and the descriptor reads 55b the switch it to read ULC. The up and down keys on the mic or the or the up or down keys on the top right hand side of the radio will toggel # 4.

You should be good to go.

I just noticed this is an old thread.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.