• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Koolertron 60MHz-a (rebranded Juntek) signal generator

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
I gave the new "budget" signal generator from amazon a shot because it said it did modulation (both internally and from an external source) and I have a few thoughts just minutes out of the box. First one from the originating company's website (which I didn't notice until now). It turns out they actually got the branding right on one of their products! Don't believe me, check out their China website and watch the scrolling pics! I didn't photoshop that, they actually misbranded one of their products with the name "Junk"! Either they cannot spell their own company name, or one of their workers decided to leak the truth on their products and nobody noticed!
2023-01-18 19_38_06-.png

I havent even had a chance to put it on the scope before finding issues either. With the outputs OFF, putting the unit on the desired frequency will generate so much noise (on that frequency) that your radio will pick up the white noise with nothing connected to the output of the generator. Not a good start. This is the 60MHz-a unit, which uses the JDS 8060 firmware. I also have a "koolertron" generator (without modulation and based on JDS-2900) that made absolutely no RF noise with the outputs off suggesting their level of give-a-shit is on the decline. The only issue I ever had with the 2900 model was frequency accuracy and a slow drift. This one is just noisy!

From my experience with the JDS-2900 model, I expect that the "1mV" setting at 11m will be around -60dBm into a 50Ω load. But with that noise on this new one, using this with an attenuator for receive alignments (sinad measurements) might be tricky (hopeless). I will report more when I use it and know more.

Edit: And the Sync in and out on the back (whatever that is for, I assumed reference oscillator) have their BNC ports so far into the case that a standard BNC connector sleeve is not able to grab the connector "ears" (whatever you call those) and tighten down. You can't even get it started and partially turned. Must be why they left that feature out of the list even though its in the pics.

Last edited:

A ferrite on the power cord significantly redudced that noise I mentioned. I'm going to pop the hood tomorrow, add a ferrite, maybe some shielding, I'll see what happens. There might be hope for this thing yet.

Reactions: NZ8N
The source of the noise is the Sync in and out ports. The sync out is outputting a square wave at the set frequency (currently 27.385MHz with the front outputs off) and it looks like it is also trying to oscillate on roughly 30MHz too.

2023-01-19 20_37_54-.png2023-01-19 20_36_51-PicoScope 6.png

Of course, the labels on every IC, transistor and diode were lasered off. The chip those ports connect to is the same chip the TTL socket in back connects to and the traces are all right next to each other. Right now I am thinking this chip is an add-on feature that they couldn't make work before running out of project money and that lifting its Vcc pin won't shut the rest of the functions down (thats my hope anyhow).

...and sure enough, lifting that pin made all that crap disappear!!!!!! Now, when I adjust the generator to 27.384MHz and the outputs are still off, my radio on the bench picks up nothing. And when I turn on the channel, it still puts out a signal.

That right there is a huge win! Now to make that ferrite internal.
r4.jpg

Reactions: Dr_DX and NZ8N
I made my first 18 mile 11m signal generator contact with the above koolertron tonight lol. Not bad for 0.05 watt! I couldnt believe it so I had to call and listen and it was coming in good!

Last edited:
Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.