• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KQ2H Repeater 29.620

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
Anyone ever hear the big boys out of NY on 29.620 FM ? Here is their tower.
kq2h_tower.jpg

I've been dialing it over to 10m more and more lately now that we're starting to get some conditions there. I'll have to see if I can't get this one from the west coast.

Sonwatcher...anything special about the offset or PL on this one? I have it down that it has a negative with a PL of 146.2?

Looks like an 'A99' on the front corner of the top platform. Think that's the repeater antenna?
If it's the same as the rest of the old AT&T microwave towers it's supplied with commercial power and natural gas for the aux.generator (or being in NY, maybe a huge fuel oil tank?). Something like 15 - 18 foot ceilings inside with a bussbar ground system suspended something like 10 feet high through the whole building. 'Nuff copper to plate the hull of a fair sized 'frigate 24'.
Our 2 meter repeater is in such a site here (W5CUQ). When AT&T left it, they stripped out most of the usable equipment including the microwave antennas. (Left enough stuff to equip a very nice electronic repair shop, too bad it'd already been 'picked over' before we got there, RATS!)
The 'U' shaped thingy on the roof is the supports for the AC that was used to keep the non-solid state link equipment cooled. No idea how large it was but I do know it was huge.
The local microwave site was sold by AT&T recently (why we're there) and went for less than the cost of a new house (and yes, I tried!). Oh well, can't win get lucky all the time, right?
- 'Doc

The local microwave site was sold by AT&T recently (why we're there) and went for less than the cost of a new house (and yes, I tried!). Oh well, can't win get lucky all the time, right?
:D

Sonwatcher...anything special about the offset or PL on this one? I have it down that it has a negative with a PL of 146.2?
That's the last info I have but I also read another site that said there is no offset. I was just reading that a fellow in Oklahoma was hearing this repeater . The 10m repeater system is fired up at 1300w .

There's definitely an offset and I believe you are correct with the PL as well.

I'm on KQ2H from time to time via the 440 link on the Empire State bldg. It's generally a pretty good group of guys on that repeater network and it spans a lot of area....I'm down in central NJ and it reaches up to the lakes on other inputs/outputs too.

29.660 is WB2HWW, another decently located 10m repeater over in Queens with a very active control op. That one is also linked to a 440 and maybe even 2m simplex at times...his PL is 114 maybe? Been a while.

...The 10m repeater system is fired up at 1300w .

I'm all for QRO, but when the band's open, that much power could really cause problems with other repeaters on that frequency. Do you know if they can reduce it when it's not necessary?

I used to work that repeater all the time, but back when it was on the WTC. Nice bunch of guys there. Back then, there was no PL; I dunno about now.

-

I know they have a big footprint. This was what a Ham in London wrote-

I listened to G7MYI working G4UAN on 29,620 MHZ FM through the Upstate New York repeater!! The input is on 29,520 MHz, I just couldn't seem to get in to contact them, but I didn't have the necessary 146.2 Hz CTCSS tone, so that was probably why. This repeater is the baby of Alex, KQ2H, and is situated in the Catskill Mountains, New York. That is quite a haul for two stations just out side London.

repeater

So what is the pl tone for the kq2h repeater, most on 10 meters dont have a pl tone.

DOCTOR/795

Support the FCC...TALK SKIP

CHNL 16 LSB...come on in and give us a shout ...

I'm all for QRO, but when the band's open, that much power could really cause problems with other repeaters on that frequency. Do you know if they can reduce it when it's not necessary?
-

Oh I'm sure they can and do.

This is one of the guys who works on that system with Alex.

W2FLA

Little QRP beginner station :LOL:

I can't do 10 meter repeaters now that I sold the Dragon to a friend of mine. The Kenwood doesn't do FM, repeater splits, or CTCSS tones....

Guess I'll have to keep me eye's peeled for a bargin on a 10 meter rig.....

KQ2H repeater

Heard in ZS every day . S9 plus on Kenwood TS870 DSP and dipoles.

Seems no one can hear me . Please answer when anyone can copy me PLEASE:blush:

Sorry gents i don't speak Spanish, when a repeater like this can be heard WORLDWIDE please use English only.

ZS6AF

I hear this repeater almost every single day @ 10 to 60 over on a 5/8 wave ground plane, 20' above ground, Kenwood TS440SAT, 180 miles west of Ft Worth/Dallas.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.