• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kris 300m

southerntrucker

rebel child
Jan 29, 2012
texas, the good ole south
ok guys/gals, i happened to come cross a Kris 300m mobile tube amp today. and was wondering if they were any good? it seems to be in good shape. the tubes look pretty new. havent got a chance to test it out yet tho. i beleive it has 2 6uj6's. but, was wondering if i could replace them with 6lq6's or somthing like that. also, i was wondering how difucult it would be to tune this old thing. i was wanting to put it behind my mgnum S-6. keys 3 swings bout 45, with a preditor 10k antenna. thanks all.

that amp tops out at about 150 peak .and no you cant sub in a 6lq6 .it wouldnt fit inside the case even if you could .
the magnum might have a bit much drive for those tubes .can you run it ?sure you can but the tube life will be shortened .
those were made in the days of single final radios .running more watts in wont get more out ,it will just heat up the tubes more and shorten their life .

if you dont have much invested run it until it drops and then get rid of it .

If you try to swing 45 watts into that Kris amp you'll pop the junction on the cathodes of the tubes. Fnkycoldmedina is right, would be best to run just a single final radio to it, should get about 125 ish out or so with 6JU6's. It's a great lil' box if you need just a little extra punch, but if you plan on "roaming" the band at all, you'll have to keep retuning it.

Good luck with it!

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
thanks guys. i got the box up and runnin, but the relay is messed up. :( i turned my top gun off on the magnum and turned my dead key all the way down to bout 1 watt amd it worked good for awhile than my realy started to mess up on me. i took it to a local and he messed with it and it started to work again. he used a magnum delta force in front of it and was doin bout 140 with it at 13 volts. but when i got back home to put it in my truck it quit workin again. so im either gonna try and get another relay (cause this is the only thing iv got and could afford to get at the time) or try and sell the tubes. but i dont know if anyone would even buy them. cause i know theirs not anybody that would trade a 2 pill for a 2 tuber. at least i doubt anyone would anyways.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.