• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Land Mobile Radios

Shioda

May 17, 2009
Friend has a chance to become a dealer. One line is from a well known manufacturer of radios, and the other is from a well known manufacturer of accessories, which recently received governmental approval of their radios. The well known manufacturer's radios are almost certainly monitorable by the NSA, even though encrypted. The new line is almost certainly not monitorable by the NSA. Should he go for well known manufacturer, or the one guaranteed private? Which do you think is more important, privacy or established manufacturer of radios?

The new line is almost certainly not monitorable by the NSA
guaranteed private

How long do you think that advantage will last, I am not up on RF security, but is it really a totally uncrackable system?

If someone can reverse engineer the system being used, that advantage will be gone, something to think about.

Which do you think is more important, privacy or established manufacturer of radios?

My-self I am not concerned with privacy when it comes to RF, If I got secrets that big to talk about, I only write them on edible paper with a splash of Soy Sauce.
Radio to me is in the open.
I mostly play radio, but I want my radio`s to work 100% when I want to play with them.
And lots of guys also use radios day after day at work and if they do not work it is lost productivity or worse.
For me, a reliable, established manufacture would trump the privacy option.

Just from a street guy.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
Can't say too much because of confidentiality agreements. However, as I understand it the encryption is controlled by an algorithm which is unbreakable, at least with today's computer capabilities. As I also understand it, the NSA has gotten a master key to the encryption algorithm used by the other manufacturer. Unfortunately one of the manufacturers will require an exclusivity agreement so he can't sell both.

How long do you think that advantage will last, I am not up on RF security, but is it really a totally uncrackable system?

If someone can reverse engineer the system being used, that advantage will be gone, something to think about.

My-self I am not concerned with privacy when it comes to RF, If I got secrets that big to talk about, I only write them on edible paper with a splash of Soy Sauce.
Radio to me is in the open.
I mostly play radio, but I want my radio`s to work 100% when I want to play with them.
And lots of guys also use radios day after day at work and if they do not work it is lost productivity or worse.
For me, a reliable, established manufacture would trump the privacy option.

Just from a street guy.

Jeff

I am with Jeff on this one. With the resources, money, and influence the NSA has in their pocket I highly doubt they can't crack the encryption.

Reactions: 2 people
Seems to me that a market exists for enthusiasts as well as those seeking a more secure option...if you're being paid to sell...why leave out a potentially large demographic?

I'm with the poster who said "do both".

Just limit your inventory of the encrypted radios - it'll be great marketing for that demo (secret supply, hard to get) while not leaving you holding the bag with too many radios once the NSA inevitably cracks the code!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would say..
N.S.A. Likely Already can un encrypt it..

If it is Un Breakable encryption you want and or need..
Talk in Code over radio..

Establish say what Book to use..
Reference Page..Paragraph and sentence..

Is it a Pain in the Butt to do so..
Sure...No one will have your Encryption Key though..

Can almost guarantee the NSA hasn't cracked it, as the product hasn't been on the market long enough. They might be able to crack a particular user's key if it was weak enough and then get access to the radios on one system of repeaters, but there is no way the could get the master key because the product has only been on the market 2 years, and sales have been in Vietnam and Russia. Not exactly countries cooperative with the NSA. Even if they could get access and try to encrypt, it might take 100 years to get the right master key using brute force.

Your friend would have to advertise these facts. I myself, wouldn't want unnecessary scrutiny from the man, by selling radios purported to be totally secure.

I'd buy a couple if they were cheap.

Reactions: 1 person
Can almost guarantee the NSA hasn't cracked it, as the product hasn't been on the market long enough. They might be able to crack a particular user's key if it was weak enough and then get access to the radios on one system of repeaters, but there is no way the could get the master key because the product has only been on the market 2 years, and sales have been in Vietnam and Russia. Not exactly countries cooperative with the NSA. Even if they could get access and try to encrypt, it might take 100 years to get the right master key using brute force.

"Can almost guarantee the NSA hasn't cracked it..." LOL! When I see or hear something like "almost guarantee" someone is being deceptive! I suspect the manufacture of those radios are being deceptive to you or you are being deceptive to us.
If that manufacturer is requiring an exclusivity agreement if you want to sell their secret squirrel encrypted radios I would pass. If the "master key" hasn't been discovered already it soon will be and there is nothing more special about their radios.
I would go with the well known, proven radios and accessories rather than be locked down with a special lesser known radios that may or may not be reliable. JMO!
Good luck!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.