• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Laptop cooling trays pads.

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Was thinking about using a laptop cooling pad as a base for the cb radio to sit on, they are powered via USB. Majority have these bling bling LED lights which I dont care for, but my question is would these LED or trays bring about additional noise interference to the radio.

Cheers

In many cases it's not the electrical noise but the fan noise itself which makes it harder to hear. most fans I've used hooked up to my 12VDC power supply didn't introduce any noise.

I recently discovered this stand on Amazon - Allsop Metal Art Jr - I put it in another post on the forum as I thought I had struck gold but apparently multiple members had already known about it :)

71qCcWKbkuL._SX355_.jpg

I can mount the radio on the top or below (it has holes so you can stick your mounting screws through the holes. Also they provide venting. Then I mounted fans (I guess you could either mount them above or below depending on where you mount the radio).

Nice thing about it is that I can mount a mobile radio + amp to it + fans + I can fit my switching power supply underneath and it keeps everything nice and organized.

I preferred buying larger 12V fans as then I can get more airflow as many of the small laptop platform ones are too small and loud and also fail (from experience trying to cool my laptop) :)

Reactions: Limeybastard
In many cases it's not the electrical noise but the fan noise itself which makes it harder to hear. most fans I've used hooked up to my 12VDC power supply didn't introduce any noise.

I recently discovered this stand on Amazon - Allsop Metal Art Jr - I put it in another post on the forum as I thought I had struck gold but apparently multiple members had already known about it :)

71qCcWKbkuL._SX355_.jpg

I can mount the radio on the top or below (it has holes so you can stick your mounting screws through the holes. Also they provide venting. Then I mounted fans (I guess you could either mount them above or below depending on where you mount the radio).

Nice thing about it is that I can mount a mobile radio + amp to it + fans + I can fit my switching power supply underneath and it keeps everything nice and organized.

I preferred buying larger 12V fans as then I can get more airflow as many of the small laptop platform ones are too small and loud and also fail (from experience trying to cool my laptop) :)

Good point about the 12v fans, I think this would suit me better than buying an additional usb powered hub for the fans 5v supply. I would use existing 12vdc 30am supply dedicated for auxiliary items and hook the fan to it for its supply.

Would that tray work for the 2970N series with the heatsink below the radio.? Just sit it on top of the tray without bracket? Also then I'd put the fans under the tray but fans also need space to suck air in, not sure how id locate fans to cool base of radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.