• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Largest amp I can put in my new F150

Why do you need that much power? You'd do better making sure you've got a good antenna system sorted before ramping up the power. 25W into a good antenna system will outdo 100W into a piss poor one any day of the week.

Even 100W mobile is overkill, any more than that definitely is.

10W AM and 25W SSB is plenty enough to do 30-40 miles which is about the limit of groundwave on 11m. If you live in a hilly area and the station you're wanting to contact is the other side of the hill, even 1000W isn't going to help you. DXing mobile I've done half way around the world with 100W with no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Why do you need that much power? You'd do better making sure you've got a good antenna system sorted before ramping up the power. 25W into a good antenna system will outdo 100W into a piss poor one any day of the week.

Even 100W mobile is overkill, any more than that definitely is.

10W AM and 25W SSB is plenty enough to do 30-40 miles which is about the limit of groundwave on 11m. If you live in a hilly area and the station you're wanting to contact is the other side of the hill, even 1000W isn't going to help you. DXing mobile I've done half way around the world with 100W with no problem.

Because it is not about talking TO somebody. It is all about talking AT somebody. There is a difference. I agree with the power limits you suggest. I have worked 15,000 miles via longpath to 3B9C from the mobile with just 100 watts and lots of 8-10,000 mile contacts as well. Most of that was on 20m however but a lot was on 10m which has similar band characteristics as 11m.

In my unjustified opinion, that first 100 watts is the most effective bang for the buck; then it costs a lot of $$ to make a difference from there...anything over that is either bragging rights or foolishness.

Don't get me wrong, I've had the 1x4 that would tickle 850w on a feel-good meter. I've lived this misery, having the dash lights flash, driveability issues, shielding this, bonding that, upgrade coax...after you do that enough times, you just want a simple plug and play setup. Not to mention getting the charging system to handle the added draw, the antenna for the added power, etc....its a slippery slope once you start down it.

just saw a 2012 ford f150 with five alternators and a 20,000 watt amp
And that is likely a nice setup for an AC Mobile, but I think we are talking about a modest system here where the guy don`t need to shield everything, run multiple Alts for AC and DC Hard line for coax and so on.
For the average guy running down the road in a daily driver a reasonable choice is a 4X2879 transistor amp with bias.

Jeff

In my unjustified opinion, that first 100 watts is the most effective bang for the buck; then it costs a lot of $$ to make a difference from there...anything over that is either bragging rights or foolishness.
I agree. And if you talk to enough ham operators you'll start to get a feel for the collective fondness they have for talking around the world on 100w or less. In all honesty I think the FCC should revisit the 1500w limit and I think a lot of ham operators would agree.

I run a ts 667 v ( 1x4 2789) in my last 3 f150s. My current is a 2013, with a wilson 5000 mag mount. My radio is a grant xl basically stock with variable power. I run 250 bird on am 300 ish on ssb when the box is on. I have more power than ears any more would be a waste. Jmho

I have not had electronic issues and my alt keeps up fine.

My messenger m4v dimmed the headlights at 450 bird.

Not a answer really just some info.

You could probably put a 100KW amplifier in that truck - probably even larger. The problem becomes apparent if you want to actually connect it and get it on the air. Just putting it in the bed of the truck, though, shouldn't pose too much in the way of limitations...:whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.