• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Leaking battery damage

mechanic

Mar 4, 2009
North coast of the USA.... Da UP!
Working on a Realistic DX-390 and found the problem of why it will not receive on short wave besides a blown FET.
Batteries were left too long in the receiver and the leakage found it's way on the PC board. Made it past the solder mask and corroded the copper traces into something other than a conductor! :oops:
Repair for this will require several jumpers after cleaning the areas well as it is a creeping crud.... :sad:

73 mechanic

BTW the battery terminals were damaged, but I did find a replacement in an old LED yard light! :whistle:

Attachments

• batteryouch.jpg
    batteryouch.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 68

Is there an easy way to disolve the battery acid? I'm trying to salvage an old handheld scanner and the case is corroded around the battery contacts. It's not horrible, and it still works with the power cord, but I want to clean it up. Any ideas?

Is there an easy way to disolve the battery acid? I'm trying to salvage an old handheld scanner and the case is corroded around the battery contacts. It's not horrible, and it still works with the power cord, but I want to clean it up. Any ideas?

Use an old toothbrush with baking soda and water. Make the soda/water mix fairly thick. The soda will neutralize the acid and caustic chemicals from the batteries. Wipe/wash clean after and repair any broken/corroded traces.

Use an old toothbrush with baking soda and water. Make the soda/water mix fairly thick. The soda will neutralize the acid and caustic chemicals from the batteries. Wipe/wash clean after and repair any broken/corroded traces.

Right on Captain!

(y)

If the contacts can be removed, a lot of the crud will be behind the contacts, the baking soda will work great! When all is clean, light spray of oil will prevent more corrosion from forming.

73 mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.