• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Licensing glitch

Atlasta

May 7, 2011
Greetings All:

I've been keeping this under my hat and was waiting for official notification and issuance of a call sign before making the announcement, but circumstances have forced me to appeal to the group at large for some help.

Here's the problem: On Dec. 2 of 2014 I took and passed the Tech Exam. Was told by the 3 VEs present that it normally takes 7-10 days for it to process and have a call sign generated. As of this week I have not received a call sign and no one at ARRL HQ seems to know why.

The original exam pack was never received at HQ so a second was sent via FedEx. Records show that it was received at HQ but no one there can seem to find it. Meanwhile, the original exam pack was returned to sender as undeliverable despite ARRLs address being clearly marked on the envelope.

The VEs here want to send in a third pack and hope that it will get through.

All of this is quite frustrating. I've some nice equipment sitting on my desk, all ready to use but can't because for some odd reason my license app keeps falling into a black hole.

Question: Has anyone else experienced this problem, or heard of it happening to others? By this time I was hoping to upgrade to General. Instead I'm stuck in some type of limbo.

Suggestions?

I've never personally heard of this happeneing but I'm sure it could. I am surprised that paper exams are still being sent in by hand. It sounds like the VE's have it handled from their end. Just keep your fingers crossed that the third time is a charm.

...no one at ARRL HQ seems to know why. ...The original exam pack was never received at HQ so a second was sent via FedEx. Records show that it was received at HQ but no one there can seem to find it. Meanwhile, the original exam pack was returned to sender as undeliverable despite ARRLs address being clearly marked on the envelope.

The VEs here want to send in a third pack and hope that it will get through...

Suggestions?

I ASSUME this is an ARRL VE team,...........

it should not take longer than 10 minutes for the ARRL to process any single exam result, once they get the completed 605 form.

someone is not telling the truth. I suspect the problem is in Newington, not at the local VE level.

have the VE liason CALL the ARRL @ 1-800-927-7583 and "ask" WTF is going on?.

I've done that. ARRL acknowledges that the exam pack was received, but no one there can seem to recall where it got to.

I'm still working on it, will post when and if I ever get my call!

Did you not get the hand written card that says you passed your test? as soon as I was listed on the fcc uls I had my call sign. I tested on Saturday and had my call sign on Monday. The official printed license showed up 10 days later.

There were some issues when I took my license as well. Turned out when I was in one of the club meetings, one of the fellas admitted they dropped the ball and didn't send in the results right away. It took about 2 months for me to get mine, which was waaaay too long (especially after being told 7-10 days). Hopefully they'll get it straightened out. Congratulations on passing!

Brett

Did you not get the hand written card that says you passed your test? as soon as I was listed on the fcc uls I had my call sign. I tested on Saturday and had my call sign on Monday. The official printed license showed up 10 days later.

I got the CSCE upon completing the exam and the VEs in the local club sent the exam pack in. I still have the original copy of the CSCE. After a month of no action the local club president decided to call ARRL and find out what's going on, that is when we found out the original exam pack was never received at HQ. A second pack was sent in, this time with a signature required. Records show that it was delivered to HQ but it can't be found.

Just sent in a THIRD exam pack- in the meantime, all that can be done is to wait.

Frustrating, to say the least.

It just goes to prove that crime would not pay if the government ran it.

the problem is not at the FCC, ARRL VE's send the results to ARRL HQ for "checking", then ARRL HQ sends the checked forms to the FCC.

the problem is at the ARRL

I don't know how the VE's worked my test package. I did test on Saturday May 18, 2013 and my license was granted on May 20, 2013. I don't know how they got mine so fast but I'm glad they did. They graded my test right there and then handed me CSCE. The other VE's need to talk to these guys and process the material like they do. Two of my VE's were EXTRA licensed and one was a general. Could that have been the difference?

the problem is not at the FCC, ARRL VE's send the results to ARRL HQ for "checking", then ARRL HQ sends the checked forms to the FCC
I don't think that's the way it works. The test materials come from the FCC, ARRL does not issue the license or enforce the laws. The grant for the license comes from the FCC. I do not mean to slam the ARRL but if I'm not mistaken it is a "Member Association" and works closely with the FCC as advisers. The Member Association" is on the home page of the ARRL.

Was told by ARRL that they rely almost exclusively on volunteers to check the inbound license apps before forwarding them to the FCC, who then simply issue the call because the exams are presumed to be correct.

FWIW all 3 of my VEs were Extras, but that shouldn't make any difference.

It just goes to prove that crime would not pay if the government ran it.

Well that's common knowledge. Remember the Bunny Ranch up in Nevada? After the Government took over it went broke- proving that the Government is so inept it couldn't make money running a whorehouse and selling whiskey!

Was told by ARRL that they rely almost exclusively on volunteers to check the inbound license apps before forwarding them to the FCC, who then simply issue the call because the exams are presumed to be correct.
FWIW all 3 of my VEs were Extras, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Once you have the CSCE all of the checking is done. Yes the ARRL depends on volunteers but they really don't have any legal authority or law enforcement powers. Who ever told you the ARRL checks the test and then forwards them to the FCC might be mixed up. The whole testing process is FCC regulated and the reason they have the examiners of higher license privilege is to be sure when the test is administered and graded it is right. They use numbered and keyed plates for the test. Match the test to the key and mark away.

Well that's common knowledge. Remember the Bunny Ranch up in Nevada? After the Government took over it went broke- proving that the Government is so inept it couldn't make money running a whorehouse and selling whiskey!
That was the Mustang Ranch. Dennis Hoff's Bunny Ranch houses are doing a bang up business. LOL
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.