• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lincoln 2 v3.. cold blooded ?? :(

varmonter

Jan 23, 2015
i have had this radio about 6 months.Now it seems that the am portion of the radio has to warm up before
it will xmit. the ssb sides don't need this warm up.I have to wait 20 min of driving before i get s bars in am
11 m. Any ideas of what might be the issue...other than it's cold here in vt..even on warmer days it takes awhile.
but only in am mode.

thx

i have had this radio about 6 months.Now it seems that the am portion of the radio has to warm up before
it will xmit. the ssb sides don't need this warm up.I have to wait 20 min of driving before i get s bars in am
11 m. Any ideas of what might be the issue...other than it's cold here in vt..even on warmer days it takes awhile.
but only in am mode.

thx
i live in pa. ive seen this many times with 2950,2510,5010.,ect. it seems it is the cold
weather. if you read your operating manual it gives ya operatng tempatures most are usually above 32 for coldest and around 100 for hottest..on mine the light signal meter wouldnt light up correctly till RADIO not vehicle was of operating tempature. hope this helps

0-10 degrees Farenheit seems to be the absolute minimum operating temperature for quite a few radios.

[QUO"M0GVZ, post: 515127, member: 22312"]0-10 degrees Farenheit seems to be the absolute minimum operating temperature for quite a few radios.[/QUOTE]

Why do you suppose it is just the am modulation that is effected?
Thx

Why do you suppose it is just the am modulation that is effected?
Thx

When you get to temperatures outside the operating range of equipment all kinds of funky things start to happen so no two radios may be the same. When its really cold here the LCD display on my car and my Kenwood TM-D710 start to play up but the display on my Kenwood TS480 is fine for example.

that doesn't sound right... the lcd not working I can understand, but it should take some real serious cold to affect the electronics.

is this some new flaw of smt? I have several smt radios that have worked in sub-zero temps without issue.

sounds like a cold solder issue to me.

that doesn't sound right... the lcd not working I can understand, but it should take some real serious cold to affect the electronics.

is this some new flaw of smt? I have several smt radios that have worked in sub-zero temps without issue.

sounds like a cold solder issue to me.
i never had a digital radio with smt . but my old 2950 [pre dx] was awful. display wouldnt light up at all for about 10 min or so.2510,5010, slightly better but still affected.
anymore in mobile run old school style radios 148,grant,for export types i actually
ran a 959 and older 99v .not the greatest ssb radio but wasnt ill by cold weather either something to think about. with me work is only about 10 minites at very most and shopping is 15 minites so my radios never got a real chance to warm up

Have you checked it with an external meter to ensure that the am tx power isn't working when it's cold, or just going by the lcd meter? If so, check it with an external watt meter. It could be working as far as power on am, the lcd display may just need the warm to warm up.

Reactions: space cowboy
Have you checked it with an external meter to ensure that the am tx power isn't working when it's cold, or just going by the lcd meter? If so, check it with an external watt meter. It could be working as far as power on am, the lcd display may just need the warm to warm up.
i never keyed up my radio cause entire display took about 10 minites to liht up. then another 15 or so for the digital display /smeter bars to show. and mine defaulted to ten meters.and i didnt carry a small meter with me

Try this and see if it does anything. I notice on mine in AM mode it does the same thing but if I move the mic gain a little or even just barely touch it a little it starts transmitting again. I don't know what the connection is but moving the mic gain gives it a quick start. Just one of those fluky things

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.