I have some trouble with tinittus and find it hard to copy low frequency sound so audio quality is very important to me. Attached is a nokia phone recording of how it sounds in USB mode. The first twenty seconds are squelched. It gets quite loud sometimes although I did not catch it in the recording.I am reluctant to spend much money repairing the radio as I recieved the radio with security stickers which would lead me to believe that even they did not know where the fault lay. Sorry about the obscure format but it was all I could do. I attempted to convert it to a wav file with a program I got here MIKSOFT - more than ideas. but vista is buggy and won't let it work with the program giving a path name error. I had a similar problem with a pentazip program. I will probably trade this in locally and buy a 2970dx if no-one has any ideas. Even if I couldn't repair it myself at least if someone gave pointers to some chip or capacitor I could say something to the repairman. The recording is quite noisy with 230v ac line noise which is not the radio's problem. I manipulated the volume control in the latter part of the recording and I also used computer speakers to bring up the squelched volume. The only thing the audio reminds me of is when I used a secondhand linear and something in the unit made the radio recieve sound garbled in the same way(possibly corroded contact's in the linears relay) but that would not apply here because as far as I know the lincoln does not use relays. So here goes. I'll leave this post here a few weeks anyway. I have other radios so I am not fully unyoked.