• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LMR 240?

C

Chiphauler

I want to run LMR 240 with my new Davemade 2x4 but I am concerned about the flexibilty. Cable Xperts have really good prices but they dont have the ultra flex but insist that the regular 240 would be flexible enough to do what I need to do with it. I am not so sure. But the reason I wanted to go with the 240 to begsn with is because it is small like the mini-8 I already run and can run it through my door the regular 240 concerns me because of the flexing of my door I really think I should go with the ultra flex which means I would have to find another seller other than cable Xperts. Feedback please.

I use 240 for home and my mobile, but my mobile is all tied up and secured tightly.

That being said I wouldn't use in on a door mounted antenna or run it through a door jamb. to much movement.

Chiphauler,
If the feed line goes through the door, or is attached to the door in some way, it's gonna flex, or get squashed at least a little bit. It'll work, but running it through a hole is 'more better'.
Having said that, and saying that there's nothing wrong with using 'LMR' coax, there's just not that much benifit to using it on HF. On VHF/UHF, absolutely! But not on HF. It's your wallet though so do it how ever you want. Actually, unless you run a LOT of power, RG-58u would do just as well. So will RG-8x.
If you want to use 'LMR' stuff, then use the 'flex'.
- 'Doc

not sure i agree with you this time W5LZ, (oh man, what am i thinking!)

i stepped up to LMR240 in my mobile, and it made a significant decrease in the fuel pump interferance i was getting.
like 3 S-units!
was at S7, after coax switch, down to S4.
moved antenna to roof, down to S1.

so, as far as attenuation goes, not much diff. but as far as shielding is concerned; big diff!

i too would not use LMR240 in an app. where it was being constantly bent back and forth as it would in a door install.
the jacket on LMR240 is very "rubbery" and grips very well.
its not "slick" like RG8x is.
so it will tend to catch on the places it is running through when moved.
also, it has a solid center core, which will eventually break with enough repeated back and forth movement.
i have never used LMR240 ultra flex, but i imagine it has the same jacket on it. i could be wrong about that though.

just my 2 cents worth,
loosecannon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.