• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Loft antenna, vertical with ground wires max rf into 5 amp wire

rizz

Feb 27, 2011
Hi I have a 10m mobile whip in the loft with 4 3 ft steel rods as ground radials, they are on the loft boards holding the antenna up, but I want to add 4 additional 9 foot wires, stranded copper 5 amps rated and insulated, my question is how many watts would be safe before the insulation started to melt, I would only use 10 watts because its in the loft but if I forgot and my FT950 was set to 50 watts would that wire heat up ? its going to be attached to a 4 bolt mirror mount and i was thinking it would act as a heatsink for the wire ?

A good couple of hundred watts at the very least.
Thx for that info, in that case I will add 3 9 foot wires to it, it acts as a receiving antenna for my mfj 1025 noise cancelling unit, but I use it on 10 if my antron is down for any reason, like there a bad thunderstorm on its way. its qrp in the loft 10 watts max but on a plus note being vertical and having a groundplane i hope that would reduce rf coming down into the house.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.